+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Integrated MOSFET Amps for dummies: power vs SQ

I'm Alex.

Default Integrated MOSFET Amps for dummies: power vs SQ

I have a DAC with a built in pre-amp and a remote volume control. It's connected to a vintage reciever integrated with a G-class 2*40Wt amp+speakers.

What's a generally recommended setup for the better sound quality:

1. Crank the amp to full power, use preamp at lower volumes
    2. Amp to middle of it's volume, preamp to the top volumes

Should I expect any difference in sounding? My ears sometimes think the former has a more open and dynamic sound, but it could be either a "snake oil" or just different sound volumes that are impossible to equalise when I change between #1 and #2.

I'm Martin.

Option 1 is the best as you have found. You always want to do the attenuation as close to the source as you can.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

You'd be better just using the power section of the receiver though if you can. Running the signal through the receiver's pre-amp stage for no purpose isn't ideal.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Option 1 is the best as you have found. You always want to do the attenuation as close to the source as you can.
    Thanks, this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You'd be better just using the power section of the receiver though if you can. Running the signal through the receiver's pre-amp stage for no purpose isn't ideal.
    No way to disable the phono/reciever pre-amp. Also the purpose for me is to have the old school pre-amp making the sound fuller, richer, wider and more enjoyable. I might lose the clinical accuracy of the original sound in the process, but get more fun and kick out of my source.
    Last edited by alexk0il; 04-02-2023 at 21:18.

+ Reply to Thread