+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bournemouth short break

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    think with the cheap beer at one time it attracted the wrong sorts, but often the bigger ones in high footfall areas were fine during day at least .
    At one time Weatherspoons were notorious for 'jail bait': under-age girls who's presence went unchallenged by the bar staff.

And yes, Wetherspoons do seem to have taken over some historic traditional pubs and saved them from closure; but I wish it had been done by another chain.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Yes, other half usually has a jacket and they always look good.

I’ve been having the smaller burgers with chips, prefer something snackier with a pint.
    Now't wrong with a filled baked potato and a pint.
    Barry

I'm John.

When I visited Wetherspoons' establishment in Bridport the tables were greasy and the carpet festooned with ketchup and gawd knows what else.

So, it's the last time I will use them. Yuck.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Lawrence.

I agree they're not for everyone, I'd like to support local pubs when I can but as I said above I've always had issues, even with quite upmarket ones.

Most either don't do kids meals or if they do they always come with chips.

And the (often single) vegetarian option is pasta, risotto or a vegetable or mushroom burger (ie literally crushed vegetables like peas and carrots in breadcrumbs, or an actual portebello mushroom, in a bun) for the same price or £1 less than a freshly made quarter pounder beef burger.

If it's breakfast they will also just give you the meat breakfast without the locally sourced fancy meat with an extra egg and/or tomato again for the same or £1 less.

If a pub doesn't offer high protein meat substitutes - and I include beans (not of the baked variety!) and lentils in that, but plant protein is better) then they won't get my business.

Wetherspoons has a very good choice of vegetarian food and you can have mash and baked potato instead of chips in the kids meals.

Of course if I'm going out for a beer with my mates none of the above applies!

I'm sorted.

I occasionally go for a ‘pub crawl’ in Brentwood (only place locally where there are enough pubs within walking distance of each other to warrant being described as a ‘crawl’) and generally the drink prices in the independent pubs are almost twice that in Spoons, dunno why we just don’t go straight there to be honest but we like to mix with all classes

I'm Lawrence.

Yeah I think after a few drinks you get less picky about where you are and some of the smarter pubs can feel a bit boring once you start to feel like having a bit more fun as well.

I'm sorted.

I could never see the point of pub crawls. Just get yourself settled in a decent pub and get 'slewed' in comfort.

And the reason Wetherspoons prices are cheaper than most, is because the beer is crap.
    Barry

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And the reason Wetherspoons prices are cheaper than most, is because the beer is crap.
    They can’t f**k up Guinness can they? Doesn’t it have to be looked after a certain way?

Never bothered much with ‘real’ ales, most taste like stagnant ditch water to me (not that I’ve ever tasted that, just gives me that impression)

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I could never see the point of pub crawls. Just get yourself settled in a decent pub and get 'slewed' in comfort.
    You meet a variety of interesting people and, in the case of Brentwood, encounter some very inventive prices in some of the more trendy establishments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast