+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary

I'm Steve.

I'm afraid WYWH has gone the same way as DSOTM for me, ie seldom played. Though this I think has more to do with my hearing. These Floyd recordings had such a lot of fine details in them, which were an intrinsic part of the music. My age-related hearing loss has meant that many of these 'effects' are now lost to me, making the experience rather less satisfying than it was in my youth, despite my system being much more resolving.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I'm afraid WYWH has gone the same way as DSOTM for me, ie seldom played. Though this I think has more to do with my hearing. These Floyd recordings had such a lot of fine details in them, which were an intrinsic part of the music. My age-related hearing loss has meant that many of these 'effects' are now lost to me, making the experience rather less satisfying than it was in my youth, despite my system being much more resolving.
    Unfortunately Steve it is a sad fact that our ageing hearing has a lot to answer for!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Unfortunately Steve it is a sad fact that our ageing hearing has a lot to answer for!
    I hear that! Helps a bit to play things louder (and I often do), but I fear that will just accelerate the process.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adrian.

DSOTM is probably my favourite album of that era, I was 15 when I first purchased it and it has been regularly played throughout my life. I have owned various copies on vinyl, currently an early Re-Press, 5th(1977) and the more recent 2016 re-release on 180g. I used to own an early CD copy, I did own the MFLS UDCD 517 Original Master Recording CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 24kt Gold Plated Disc (sold it for cash to upgrade hifi) and I own the SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Album, RE, RM, EMI 7243 582136 2 1.

IMO on vinyl the 5th re-press I currently own sounds the best for vinyl replay, although a pristine 1st pressing might be better, but with NM/NM copies commanding over £300 that is not going to happen for me. The 2016 re-release is OK but sounds odd in places, they must have played around with the balance of the mix I think.

On compact disc format, the early CD was OK but not great, even on a Meridian CDP. The MFSL 24kt Gold disc did sound very good and up to as good as the original vinyl if played in a good CD player. The SACD version which was a 40th anniversary re-release was an off the cuff purchase at the time, originally I played it in a CDP and also in a DVD player through a 5.1 surround system, in either I thought it sounded pretty good. However very recently I was lucky enough to get a Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD player and only a few weeks ago I remembered my SACD DSOTM version I had and put it on. I am very impressed with it played on a SACDP in stereo, it sounds just like the original but with better clarity and definition, the Time track for example is stunning with clear timbral and resonance of the clocks chiming, and it is much easy to distinguish between them and place them in the soundstage, all the other tracks a similarly better.

By the way I have also listened to several FLAC versions streaming and the SACD still has it for me.

So for me at the moment the 40th Anniversary SACD played through a good SACD player is top dog. I will be interested to see what a 50th anniversary version will offer.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

It was the first album I heard on CD. Christmas 1987 on the neighbour's son's new Akai system.

Have got the original CD release. DSOTM aficionados don't rate that one but it sounds fine. Also got it on vinyl but I don't know what the provenance of that is. It's old, bought second-hand, but it's not a first pressing.

Only PF album I play often is 'Animals' though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It was the first album I heard on CD. Christmas 1987 on the neighbour's son's new Akai system.

Have got the original CD release. DSOTM aficionados don't rate that one but it sounds fine. Also got it on vinyl but I don't know what the provenance of that is. It's old, bought second-hand, but it's not a first pressing.

Only PF album I play often is 'Animals' though.
    I think Animals was one of there worst produced albums, a somewhat muddy mix IMO, shame because I like it as well, I have the 2018 re-master on Vinyl released in 2022 which is a big improvement IMHO, the soundstage is better and you can hear more details from the mix and it is better spaced.

Might be worth checking out the https://www.discogs.com/release/2453...als-2018-Remix the CD version.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

remember i did a dsotm test on my various versions and the old vinyl(not a first but a seventh i think) was best,
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

I have watched a few comparison evaluations recently and the earlier pressings are considered the best.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have watched a few comparison evaluations recently and the earlier pressings are considered the best.
    i must have sold my vinyl copies in my big sale as they are not listed, or there is an error in my listing. still have the sacd and the cd versions tho. i said 7th but it might have been 5th.. memory isnt great these days
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i must have sold my vinyl copies in my big sale as they are not listed, or there is an error in my listing. still have the sacd and the cd versions tho. i said 7th but it might have been 5th.. memory isnt great these days
    I think it was one of the albums I bought from you Grant
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast