+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary

I'm James.

Default Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary

Well I remember buying this iconic album in 1976 just after purchasing Wish You Were Here. I still do prefer WYWH but DSOTM is a fabulous album and I think the lyrics are superb and probably Mr Waters high point as a composer and lyricist. I have over the last 40 years or so wheeled out DSOTM and indeed bought many versions of it after trashing my original. It is still a great listen and still probably one of the best produced albums of the 70s.

The last copy of DSOTM I bought on vinyl was extremely poor quality but I wait with baited breath for a new AAA re issue of decent quality. Will it happen? Well something else might be coming along - a live 1974 vinyl copy of an early DSOTM concert?

https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/...h-anniversary/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

There have been so many reissues of DSOTM over the years, and my current one (bought about seven years ago) isn't that great to my ears. But the other day I 'asked Alexa' to play Money by Pink Floyd. It must have thrown up some kind of remix - it was clearly Floyd, but was noticeably different tonally. Actually it sounded amazing. I thought Alexa had described it as being a 2001 remix, but could be wrong. Tried the next day to get Alexa to play it again, but it wouldn't. Starting to wonder if it was a dream...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The DSOTM re-master is noticeably different, and IMO better than the original 1971 version. The 'voices off' are clearer, as are the chiming clocks on 'Time'. So too are the airport PA announcements. The copy I have is on CD, so I'm not sure if there is a re-mastered version on vinyl.

I'm sure EMI will 'milk' the 50th anniversary for all its worth.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I remember it being played to death at the Hi-Fi shows when it came out. Probably why I hardly ever play it now.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I remember it being played to death at the Hi-Fi shows when it came out. Probably why I hardly ever play it now.
    Agreed - that is why I didn't buy a copy until years later. Until then I just regarded it as a glorified test record.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The DSOTM re-master is noticeably different, and IMO better than the original 1971 version. The 'voices off' are clearer, as are the chiming clocks on 'Time'. So too are the airport PA announcements. The copy I have is on CD, so I'm not sure if there is a re-mastered version on vinyl.

I'm sure EMI will 'milk' the 50th anniversary for all its worth.
    That may well be the version I was hearing then. I'll try to seek it out on Spotify tomorrow, or maybe try to find a used CD of it.

I agree with yours and Geoff's comments, I played DSOTM to death when it came out, as did most of my friends. So I don't really bother with it any more. Only reason I was playing "Money" the other day was that I was dialling in a subwoofer, and I wanted something I was really familiar with.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    There have been so many reissues of DSOTM over the years, and my current one (bought about seven years ago) isn't that great to my ears. But the other day I 'asked Alexa' to play Money by Pink Floyd. It must have thrown up some kind of remix - it was clearly Floyd, but was noticeably different tonally. Actually it sounded amazing. I thought Alexa had described it as being a 2001 remix, but could be wrong. Tried the next day to get Alexa to play it again, but it wouldn't. Starting to wonder if it was a dream...
    I have tried to buy a decent copy of DSOTM on vinyl but all of the re mixes I have heard were not great. I have a feeling the only real option is to purchase an original first, second or third UK pressing but they are eye waveringly expensive!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Lloyd.

My copy of DSOTM bought for me as a birthday present when it came out in ‘73 plays pretty good a few crackles in places but nothing that upsets listening and I’m yet to hear a cd or streamed (free Spotify etc) that keeps up with the vinyl but apart from perhaps it’s first couple of years with me it’s not been overly played so I guess I’m just lucky at this point

Sadly I can’t say the same about my WYWH as I lent it to an old school friend and it never came back Dave Wagstaff where are you now ?
    A widower finding solace in music

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Swann36 View Post
    My copy of DSOTM bought for me as a birthday present when it came out in ‘73 plays pretty good a few crackles in places but nothing that upsets listening and I’m yet to hear a cd or streamed (free Spotify etc) that keeps up with the vinyl but apart from perhaps it’s first couple of years with me it’s not been overly played so I guess I’m just lucky at this point

Sadly I can’t say the same about my WYWH as I lent it to an old school friend and it never came back Dave Wagstaff where are you now ?
    A 1973 copy would be great as it would be all analogue on vinyl with no messing sorry remastering! You lucky man!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Swann36 View Post

Did he not send you a post card?

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast