+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The ideal would be a pressing using a digital copy that was taken back when the tapes were in better condition.
    That's exactly right in my opinion.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    If I recall correctly PF - Momentary Laps of Reason used some digital processing in the recording, and I think a they had a lot of the original master tapes(probably 2 track copies) transferred in the late 80's, so probably to 48khz or 96khz, if done well then these would be very hard to differentiate from the original analogue. Any re-mastering/tampering from those would have been later. on. I wonder actually how many so called remasters are actually taken from an original 24 track master tape, I bet loads are from the 2 track masters and processed into a digital format and then jigged about.
    well you've got the studio master, the production master, first generation, second generation and so on. There's rarely just one master tape.

And each time you make an analogue copy you raise the noise floor. So who knows what generation master they use? They never say and no-one seems to ask.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

well you've got the studio master, the production master, first generation, second generation and so on. There's rarely just one master tape.

And each time you make an analogue copy you raise the noise floor. So who knows what generation master they use? They never say and no-one seems to ask.
    Yes, completely agree, I suspect that whatever they use to produce a re-master as long as it sounds OK and not poles apart from the original or they can market it as an improvement in some way that is all they care about.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Still doesn't convince me to get my wallet out!
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

Don't really understand the desire for an AAA. The analogue tapes degrade with time, even the good quality ones. The ideal would be a pressing using a digital copy that was taken back when the tapes were in better condition. The digital copy will be an exact copy so nothing will be lost, unlike with an AAA done now.

After all everyone was happy to pay a premium for Mo-Fi releases thinking they were AAA and nobody complained until they found out they were taken from a digital copy. They couldn't hear it (okay, Mike Fremer now claims he could but...well, yeah).
    Not always black and white case. I have heard excellent digital copies taken from analogue tape and total shi%. All depends on who is doing the mastering and production and how well they do it.
    Obviously original tape can be fantastic or crap too, depending on condition. But taking a digital copy is not always a sure route to creating a great copy because during the mastering so much damage can be done to the original recording.

If you understand all the problems that can occur in digital audio because of introduction of noise then remember this can also happen in the studio.

My last copy of DSOTM was produced from a digital remaster and it is sounds terrible.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

My last copy of DSOTM was produced from a digital remaster and it is sounds terrible.
    You don't know that the reason it sounds terrible is because it is from a digital master. There could be a lot of other reasons, most likely that you don't share the same artistic vision for the material as whoever re-mastered it.

The idea that studio engineers don't know what they are doing does not marry up with my own experience. Especially when you consider this is DSOTM not some obscure recording by an unknown band. They are not likely to let the teaboy do the digital copy.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

You don't know that the reason it sounds terrible is because it is from a digital master. There could be a lot of other reasons, most likely that you don't share the same artistic vision for the material as whoever re-mastered it.

The idea that studio engineers don't know what they are doing does not marry up with my own experience. Especially when you consider this is DSOTM not some obscure recording by an unknown band. They are not likely to let the teaboy do the digital copy.
    Problem with remastering albums is that the mastering engineer may decide to add EQ to their taste it immediately departs from the original. I just want a very good copy of the original, there I have answered my own question. Buy a brand new sealed first generation copy of DSOTM - that would be £4200 currently on Discogs.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

On some pressings, a faintly audible orchestral version of the Beatles' "Ticket to Ride" can be heard after "Eclipse" over the album's closing heartbeats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

not sure that is on my CD version. Will have to turn it up a bit next time I play it and see.

Anyone ever heard this?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Pink Floyd – 'Dark Side Of The Moon'

Label: EMI United Kingdom – 7243 8 29752 2 9
    Format: CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Repress, Stereo
    Released: 1994
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Psychedelic Rock, Prog Rock, Classic Rock

No 'Ticket to Ride' heard after the end of 'Eclipse'. In fact it's a pretty anodyne version, lacking any real emotion upon listening.
    Last edited by Barry; 24-01-2023 at 21:43. Reason: Addition
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast