+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Grant, as you may have seen I have just listened to DSOTM on the 2016 re-master on vinyl and also on the 40th Anniversary SACD to try and get a clear and recent view. Both are very listenable, the 2016 vinyl sounds better than I remember it, but maybe that is due to my recent system changes. They actually sound very similar IMO, but I would say the SACD 40th release has the edge, it has slightly more air and detail in the mix, the difference is quite subtle. I suppose you could argue this was down to the limitations of my systems vinyl replay capabilities, I do not think this is the case though as I have some other albums that exhibit the same sense of air and detail as the DSOTM SACD. Anyway I can happily listen to either versions.
    think i tested 4.. original vinyl, the reissue on 180, the sacd and the cd. might have been 2 cds. the original vinyl was my preference, but the rest were all pretty good. the old vinyl just ticked more boxes and gave me a few extra shivers lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    think i tested 4.. original vinyl, the reissue on 180, the sacd and the cd. might have been 2 cds. the original vinyl was my preference, but the rest were all pretty good. the old vinyl just ticked more boxes and gave me a few extra shivers lol
    I'll have a test listen of the original Vinyl I have over the next few days and see if my view changes.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

That would be useful. Do you know which pressing you original DSOTM vinyl is? If you have a code I can check it up on Discogs.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That would be useful. Do you know which pressing you original DSOTM vinyl is? If you have a code I can check it up on Discogs.
    it is this one https://www.discogs.com/release/2666...de-Of-The-Moon I can check the exact Matrix runout if you want.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Yes Martin, you do have a point in that how it was originally produced was how the band hopefully wanted it to sound at the time, so maybe that is how we should appreciate it. However I believe that PF released the 2018 re-master with the intention of it sounding as they would have like it to originally, or perhaps if you are cynical it was just to get some more money for the record company and the band.
    I actually don't care how the band wanted it to sound. However it turned out and for whatever reasons - that is it.

For example I have the Steve Wilson remix of 'Aqualung' - it sounds good and I know Ian Anderson was never happy with the original, but it's not the real 'Aqualung' to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

it is this one https://www.discogs.com/release/2666...de-Of-The-Moon I can check the exact Matrix runout if you want.
    Think that is a 5th pressing. Should be very good.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I actually don't care how the band wanted it to sound. However it turned out and for whatever reasons - that is it.

For example I have the Steve Wilson remix of 'Aqualung' - it sounds good and I know Ian Anderson was never happy with the original, but it's not the real 'Aqualung' to me.
    In an interview with Dave Gilmour, he said that personally he would have loved to have shared the experience of someone who had just bought the LP, and was listening to it for the first time.

It thus a moot point about how PF wanted DSOTM to sound; they had been involved with the recording for so long it's probable that they themselves didn't really know exactly how it should sound.
    Barry

I'm Pau.

This was the first album I owned on vinyl. I got it for my 16th birthday, so seeing the 50th anniversary makes me feel old.

BUT, that 16th birthday was in 2003, and the version I got was the 30th anniversary, which I understand will have made a different generation of music lovers feel old then.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well I was around when DSOTM was first released. I was also around to watch the first episode of Doctor Who on TV. So yes, it makes me feel very old.
    Barry

I'm Lloyd.

Sadly not perhaps he’ll see this post and do the right thing
    A widower finding solace in music

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast