+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BBC Garrard 301 (DRD5) Restoration

I'm Matt.

Default BBC Garrard 301 (DRD5) Restoration

A year long project comes to a close. This full console BBC unit, known as the DRD5 was the first iteration of the 301’s use by the BBC (The later version being the PR2/1)

Being a complete console there is a lot more going on here than a standard 301. The brief was to restore and retain as much originality whilst maximizing performance. I can say the original paint was pretty outstanding. This example came from BBC Bristol and seems to have not suffered the numerous ‘on the fly’ revisions many of the larger BBC studios deemed necessary.

Things were still a learning curve and there is a lot to learn with this particular unit. Stripping down measuring / plating testing and in some cases re machining turned into the proverbial long road with no apparent end. But there was an end…(Although I’m already thinking of things I would do differently / would like to try)

Usually at this point in a self congratulatory review people trot out the ‘Labor of love’ one liner. To be honest, I’d flown past that in month 1. It would be more accurate to describe this project as: ‘Rabbit hole → obsession’.

After such a long time of head scratching it was a happy / sad moment to see it go. It is unlikely I’ll come across another quite like it.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Lovely work there - well done. Did you retain the original Acos crystal pickup cartridge?

(BTW I've always wondered, what is the purpose of the two side 'cheeks'? Is it to aid cueing?)
    Barry

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

(BTW I've always wondered, what is the purpose of the two side 'cheeks'? Is it to aid cueing?)
    The felt pads on the 'lugs' allow for a top platter to 'sit' when the platter is lowered (The platter raises and lowers) similar to the 124 clutch mechanism but instead of the top platter being caught and raised the entire platter can raise and lower - The additional oversized top platter (Not in the film) is pierced with Stroboscopic markings, the light in the bottom right lug shines up and through the piercings. There is some very nice practical engineering on these.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

+ Reply to Thread