+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to upgrade my DAC - Topping, Lexjie, etc?

I'm Alex.

Default Time to upgrade my DAC - Topping, Lexjie, etc?

Currently using a fully upgraded Beresford BM mkI DAC to drive the audio from PC, CD, TV and IFI Zen Blue 2 LDAC into an old school G-class Hitachi amp from 70s. I upgraded caps and resistors on the amp, paired it with decent Klipsch speakers and pretty happy with how my setup sounds. I guess I owe the sound quality to the amp and speakers though, though the DAC isn't bad on its own.

Unfortunately the lack of the remote control in the system is becoming more annoying than it used to be, so I am thinking of upgrading the DAC to something more advanced.

The are plenty reviews on https://www.audiosciencereview.com and I'm considering Topping DX3 pro+, but maybe someone wants to talk me out or recommend another dac that sounds similar or better than my Beresford through RCA outputs. Headphone amp is't important, my headphones are connected to the amp anyway.

I'm Kevin.

Buy it from somewhere like Amazon, and if you don’t like it, send it back.

I went from a fully upgraded SEG to an RME ADI2 DAC FS, which I bought 2nd hand, and I don’t regret it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alexk0il View Post
    Currently using a fully upgraded Beresford BM mkI DAC to drive the audio from PC, CD, TV and IFI Zen Blue 2 LDAC into an old school G-class Hitachi amp from 70s. I upgraded caps and resistors on the amp, paired it with decent Klipsch speakers and pretty happy with how my setup sounds. I guess I owe the sound quality to the amp and speakers though, though the DAC isn't bad on its own.

Unfortunately the lack of the remote control in the system is becoming more annoying than it used to be, so I am thinking of upgrading the DAC to something more advanced.

The are plenty reviews on https://www.audiosciencereview.com and I'm considering Topping DX3 pro+, but maybe someone wants to talk me out or recommend another dac that sounds similar or better than my Beresford through RCA outputs. Headphone amp is't important, my headphones are connected to the amp anyway.
    Topping is a solid buy, wouldn't expect it to be different from the Beresford even though it does measure a lot better but you will then have a remote. No need to spend more on a DAC unless it's for the looks and the features. The Topping does D to A conversion as perfectly as it is possible to do.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Stuart.

From what you’ve said, it’s looking like a remote is a non-negotiable requirement?
    Last edited by MisterMoseley; 14-01-2023 at 14:08.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    From what you’ve said, it’s looking like a remote is a non-negotiable requirement?
    Yes, that's the only reason to upgrade for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Topping is a solid buy, wouldn't expect it to be different from the Beresford even though it does measure a lot better but you will then have a remote. No need to spend more on a DAC unless it's for the looks and the features. The Topping does D to A conversion as perfectly as it is possible to do.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Buy it from somewhere like Amazon, and if you don’t like it, send it back.
    Any reliability issues with Topping? There are a few Amazon reports that it stops working after the Amazon return window is closed. There are also positive reviews on Amazon, but I tend not to trust those as they can be easily faked by the vendor.

I'm Kevin.

I have a Topping Pre90 in my system. I bought it second hand last year. No issues to report so far.
    Kevin

I'm Martin.

Yes, that's the only reason to upgrade for me.

Any reliability issues with Topping? There are a few Amazon reports that it stops working after the Amazon return window is closed. There are also positive reviews on Amazon, but I tend not to trust those as they can be easily faked by the vendor.
    Had mine almost three years I think, not had any issues.

Now I've said that it will probably go bad but even if it does, it wasn't an expensive item to begin with.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Update:
    I checked quite a few dac testing videos on youtube. I know, I know, it's very far from listening to the real thing, yet I managed to come to conclusion that the signature sound of budget ESS based DACs is not for me.

I did like the sound of SMSL M400 with its AK4499 DAC, but it's way over my budget. D300 with ROHM might be also a good option, still not convinced the sound quality is on par with it's £400 price, plus I saw reports of periodic "topping-like" drops of the audio. Not sure.

So, I just ordered SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk3. If anything it should have a cleaner and more resolving sound than the 10 years old Bushmaster. Hope it will be neutral enough to provide a good input to my amp that is doing it's own magic with the sound.

Let's see how it works out.

https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/four-u...skrit-10th-mk2
    Last edited by alexk0il; 16-01-2023 at 00:38.

I'm Jerry.

When looking for a Dac, from experience I wouldn't buy any of the recommendations from ASR.

My last two Dacs from the UK have been used.
    Have done very well with them.

I'm Kevin.

It has the AKM chip, so I think you should be happy.
    I don’t know how reliable SMSL are though, but as most HiFi is. Ow made in Chine, I think you should be ok.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast