+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A great experience

I'm Mike.

Default A great experience

Hi all, i've had some problems with my Primaluna Evo400i of late, well it actually started not long after i bought the amp, but now it's to a point where something needs to be done. Basically after about 5 minutes of play I get a bad valve light come on and I loose the left channel, it's always the same bad valve light so always the left channel, I've swapped valves around to see if it's a bad valve and even bought some new ones, but it definitely isn't down to the valves.

So a couple of days ago i sought help from the guys on the Primaluna page on Facebook, the consensus being that it's more than likely an issue with the auto bias circuit and Primaluna actually publish on the net how to adjust this on older versions of the amp but importantly not mine, anyway not wanting to stick multimeter probes into a live circuit I decided to book it in at my local PL dealer for them to have a look and at the same time I reached out to Herman at Primaluna via email.

I sent the email to Herman Saturday morning and to my surprise he responded by lunchtime, he advised me not to open it up but to take it to a dealer, and went on to request more info, serial number, versions of valves that are installed amongst other things as well as the dealers details so that PL could offer 1st line support and advice directly to the dealer.

I contacted Wilkinson's HiFi just outside Burnley on Friday afternoon to book my amp in to be looked at, the guy i spoke to was surprised to hear I was having issues, anyway I took the amp over to them on Saturday afternoon, showed them the email i had from Primaluna and copied their details into my response. While I was there I had a look around (it's a hifi shop why wouldn't you) the staff there are all a bit older and seem to give excellent advice, this isn't a modern boutique type shop with 2 or 3 over priced pieces of kit that you have to visit by appointment, this is an old school HiFi shop filled with kit new and used which caters for everyone, while looking at some Fyne Audio speakers I was approached by one of the staff who told me they have an enthusiasts meeting on every Saturday in the main demo room and I was more than welcome to attend, again why wouldn't you, there was 5 guys sat listening to records that they had brought in, I was made to feel welcome tea and decent fresh ground coffee were on tap and free to my surprise along with an assortment of biscuits, I got there at 2pm and didn't leave until 5pm.

Honestly what a great day, Primaluna on the ball and an incredible local dealer who aren't snobby or pushy and what a great idea for them to hold their own club, as Arnie says i'll be back!

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Brian.

That sounds fantastic Mike. I was talking to a mate about dealers the other day. Shops like the one you've described are few and far between these days. It's all about time and money in modern hifi shops. I'm old enough to remember the days when you could walk into a hifi shop just for a listen to whatever system was playing and have a chat and a coffee. Looks like you have been lucky enough to find a fantastic old fashioned dealer. Not that I'm jealous mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

That is a great experience and fairly uncommon I feel nowadays but as some of us older members remember it was how it used to be with some local dealers. I used to pop into a place every Friday afternoon from work and what a brilliant experience that was. got to hear so much kit and meet so many people.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-01-2023 at 14:52.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    That sounds fantastic Mike. I was talking to a mate about dealers the other day. Shops like the one you've described are few and far between these days. It's all about time and money in modern hifi shops. I'm old enough to remember the days when you could walk into a hifi shop just for a listen to whatever system was playing and have a chat and a coffee.
    When i was speaking to the staff there, they said there are certain brands they'd like to stock but the manufacturers and distributors won't consider them as they say the shop is too outdated, it's that attitude that grinds my gears and to be honest i steer clear of these boutique shops that are all swish looking, have a smattering of kit that costs the earth and pushy salesmen that don't help matters and are only interested in selling you what they have in stock.

I'm Grant.

pity we dont know the brands... its really poor of them to try and control the environ that people should have to use. its really too much. so avoid the brands is my advice
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    pity we dont know the brands... its really poor of them to try and control the environ that people should have to use. its really too much. so avoid the brands is my advice
    Linn were one Grant, I’ve never been a Linn fan to be honest so that’s not a big deal for me, but the guy I was speaking to said, well known brands like Linn draw people in

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Linn were one Grant, I’ve never been a Linn fan to be honest so that’s not a big deal for me, but the guy I was speaking to said, well known brands like Linn draw people in
    not surprised re linn.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

Yup, sad ain't it. I would much rather frequent a shop like the one you've described mate.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Steve.

Sounds like a really enjoyable afternoon Mike. Next time you go take me with you Oh and if you have been left temporarily amp-less I can lend you something considerably more downmarket, but better than a poke in the eye.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Sounds like a really enjoyable afternoon Mike. Next time you go take me with you
    I’ll be going again probably this Saturday to hopefully pick up my amp, I’ll give you a call to let you know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast