+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm openingabottleofwine.

£450 for essentially a differential amplifier (read common or garden op-amp), a switch, and a meter! I'm sure such a device could be built for under £50.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    The very kind Jamie sent me a PM so I could call him so he could explain. Once I got the issue it is obvious what he is saying is true. I will try and explain for all to understand.

Hold your right arm out parallel to the ground with your right palm facing the ground, then bend your elbow to make a right angle to your upper arm keeping you arm level to the ground. Now cant your right hand out at the wrist to the right keeping it parallel to the ground, think of your hand as the head shell, and you arm as the tonearm. Now here is the interesting bit. Keep your hand fixed where it is and raise you elbow vertically, watch your hand as you do so, and you should see your hand rotates with your little finger going up and your thumb going down. If you lower your elbow then the opposite occurs. This demonstrates what happens when you raise and lower a tonearm at the pivot point, it creates a twist at the head shell which will alter the Azimuth, what ever it was set to. This is not immediately obvious when adjusting the arm, but this demonstration clearly highlights the issue.

So as Jamie(karma1967) rightly says if you change the VTA/SRA of your tonearm you need to reset the Azimuth afterwards to ensure that the stylus is correctly set up in the groove.
    That description only applies to tonearms where the bearings for motion in the vertical plane are not at right angles to a line passing through the headshell and cantilever. I know of only two makes of tonearm where this applies: SME (excluding the cast magnesium models) and Fidelity Research.

I used to wonder about this, as when the arm/cartridge rides a warp, the cartridge will 'roll' slightly counterclockwise when viewed from the front, so upsetting azimuth. However I did some calculations based on the dimensions and geometry of my SME M12-R arm and the effect on crosstalk, and even with a 5mm warp the crosstalk was insignificant.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    £450 for essentially a differential amplifier (read common or garden op-amp), a switch, and a meter! I'm sure such a device could be built for under £50.
    Your more than probably correct, however, I have one, I don't have to worry about buggering about making one and I know it works which probably adds a few less grey hairs in my beard.

PS I paid nowhere near £450.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Hello Gentlemen, do you means this old thing ?

My, this thread moves quickly. Yes the Fozgometer is a piece of cake to use. It works best with detachable head shells, you can still go nuts trying to set channel seperation up on fixed head shell tonearms like my SME V-12, so, I prefer using my SME 3012. You still have to pay close attention to cartridge set up, this device very very quickly enables you to see how much of a balls-up you've made.
    That's the Gizmo Andy!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i'd rather buy the polished turd its a cant win scenario trying for perfection; just use your eyes and ears
    it usually works too
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Geoff.

'Fozgometer' is an odd name. Was the device designed by a Mr. Fozgo?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hi, it's me!

I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That description only applies to tonearms where the bearings for motion in the vertical plane are not at right angles to a line passing through the headshell and cantilever. I know of only two makes of tonearm where this applies: SME (excluding the cast magnesium models) and Fidelity Research.

I used to wonder about this, as when the arm/cartridge rides a warp, the cartridge will 'roll' slightly counterclockwise when viewed from the front, so upsetting azimuth. However I did some calculations based on the dimensions and geometry of my SME M12-R arm and the effect on crosstalk, and even with a 5mm warp the crosstalk was insignificant.
    By jingo i think your right barry,i've just checked my arm and if i understand correctly what you said above then a line drawn from the centre point of my bearings and at 90 degrees to them ends up running parallel to the headshell,so again if i understand correctly them my cartridge wont tilt to the left or right when moving the arm up or down.

i stand corrected said the man in the orthopedic shoes!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    was made by a guy called fosgate. his nickname was foz..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Another way of checking Azimuth which I appreciate is a bit rough and ready is find a test track that has some extreme left and right information in the recording. This will tell you if the cartridge is tracking left and right channels well. I use Andrea Vollenweider album "The Magic Cave". At the beginning when they enter the cave you hear drops echoing in the cave which are to the extreme left and right in your speakers. Its also an amazing track if you want to hear extreme depth in a recording. Quite spooky. It will tell you a lot about your cartridge set up and is very well recorded.

+ Reply to Thread