+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 124 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    One of the reasons I don't play my vinyl anymore is the value of some of them! Anything released after about 1992 seems to be worth a bomb and I bought a lot of records around that time, all on the day or week of release.

Hopefully I won't ever need the money but you never know.
    I probably have dozens of LPs in my collection that are each valued at £100 or more. But as far as I'm concerned it is irrelevant: I buy records to play, not as an investment.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I probably have dozens of LPs in my collection that are each valued at £100 or more. But as far as I'm concerned it is irrelevant: I buy records to play, not as an investment.
    I play all mine, even the ones worth £200-£300.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post

Me too
    Regards
    Robin

Origin Live Calypso MK5 turntable, Origin Live Onyx tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3.

I'm James.

I certainly don't buy records for an investment, they all get played regularly and I don't particularly look after the covers but I do take great care of the records themselves.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Jim,

With regards to your speaker jumper cables. I've got a whole system wired full of the stuff, have a read...

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...L+SOUND+system
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Jim,

With regards to your speaker jumper cables. I've got a whole system wired full of the stuff, have a read...

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...L+SOUND+system
    Interesting going back and reading that Andy. I am very tempted to get the Dueland cable to rewire my speakers. Not expensive punt to do either at £8 a metre.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

It's great fun. It might be worthwhile just buying a cheap second pair speakers, maybe something that you fancy trying and then rewiring? The Celestion 15's are not the best speakers in the world but I like them! I've always fancied some of the bigger Spendors or IMF speakers from the 70's, but that's maybe another system!!!!!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've never bought one as an investment they have just turned into one. Like my numbered limited edition Smashing Pumpkins LP I bought the week it came out. Didn't even notice the number thing until I got it home and put it on the turntable. And thought what a load of bollocks. But value now almost a monkey.

Back when vinyl almost vanished around turn of the century I did wonder if at some point there would be a resurgence because it was always cool unlike CD or tape which never were.

I bought about three hundred s/h LPs in that period all cost between a quid and a fiver, but only because - ironically - that was at that time the cheapest way of getting the music I wanted. Never bought with a view to future value.

Most of them now got on CD too so no need to play them anymore.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've never bought one as an investment they have just turned into one. Like my numbered limited edition Smashing Pumpkins LP I bought the week it came out. Didn't even notice the number thing until I got it home and put it on the turntable. And thought what a load of bollocks. But value now almost a monkey.

Back when vinyl almost vanished around turn of the century I did wonder if at some point there would be a resurgence because it was always cool unlike CD or tape which never were.

I bought about three hundred s/h LPs in that period all cost between a quid and a fiver, but only because - ironically - that was at that time the cheapest way of getting the music I wanted. Never bought with a view to future value.

Most of them now got on CD too so no need to play them anymore.
    Wish I had the foresight to have bought vinyl back then but in 2000 I was not even the slightest interested in vinyl. I am now seeking out great suff I liked back in my youth and its costing me a fortune. Even back 10 years ago when I started buying vinyl I could pick up most of what I wanted dirt cheap but today everything good is priced astronomically.

Interestingly I bought a couple of copies of Brothers in arms by Dire straits a few years back but it sounds crap on vinyl as it was one of the earliest records to be produced from a digital recording when they didn't really know what they were doing. There are now much much better versions of this album released by the likes of Mofi who took the digital recordings and did a great job with them. Their version of Brothers in arms is way better than the original so it is not always the case that older vinyl is the best sounding. You have to tread carefully!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I don't play all of mine, quite a few are filed under 'What was I thinking?" But yes, the good 'uns all get played regardless of value. Life's too short to be precious about these things, why should I deny myself the pleasure, just so my kids can flog them unplayed.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread