+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1234

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm James.

Back to the room acoustics and I found this very good video from New Record Day that demonstrates very well the effects of treating a room. He uses a binaural dummy and headphones to record what he hears and it is very impressive if you listen to this through headphones. You can certainly tell the difference the room treatment makes. This is an ongoing project he is doing so more to come. But some of it reflects my own experiences and is definitely worth listening too.

Today just listening to my own acoustics in my listening room I can tell there is a bit more to go but I am not far off a very nice balanced sound somewhere between live and dead. Think I need to get on with those few more panels I need and I recon I am done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiALw5Qjw7Y

It is worth listening to his whole series on room acoustics. No one has done a demonstration of room acoustics as effectively as he has.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 23-01-2024 at 07:23.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

This video further demonstrates amazingly well the difference diffusion does or doesn't make. Very interesting conclusions and it confirms much of what has been happening in my own listening room even though I did not know exactly what I was doing?

Some aspects of the sound I experienced including imaging and more precision delayering information in a recording to sound more coherent have definitely been as a result of some of the room treatment I have used. I likened it to improving the focus of everything in the recording. I am even more enthusiastic about further investigation after watching and listening to this brilliant set of videos by New Record Day. I fabulous demonstration and tool for anyone interested in room treatment and its consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSMgp0wK8Uo
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am even more enthusiastic about further investigation after watching and listening to this brilliant set of videos by New Record Day. I fabulous demonstration and tool for anyone interested in room treatment and its consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSMgp0wK8Uo
    Hi James,

I just watched this and one of his other videos on Reverb and Room EQ generally, he demonstrates very well how a room has a major influence on what and how we hear music from how HiFi systems. Stopping reflections at critical nodes of a room can and usually does make a clear difference to clarity and detail, the echo muddle being removed allows for a clearer aural soundstage.

Like you I started from simple experiments using strategically placed materials and objects to stop reflections and bass enhancement, and taking REW measurements as I went. What I did find interesting was that small improvement in the EQ curve could have big improvements on the perceived SQ. As with most of us I had to compromise in the living room where the HiFi is, If I want to do some serious listening I use temporary velvet side curtains at the 1st reflection points, slug up on temporary rods clipped into hooks on the walls, and cover the 55" flat TV over with a dense fleece blanket. I took measurements of this set up and I get a flatter frequency sweep and reverb is down below 300ms across the spectrum, which I think is recommended.

I will be interested to see how you address diffusion and if you make some diffusers yourself.

Cheers Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi James,

I just watched this and one of his other videos on Reverb and Room EQ generally, he demonstrates very well how a room has a major influence on what and how we hear music from how HiFi systems. Stopping reflections at critical nodes of a room can and usually does make a clear difference to clarity and detail, the echo muddle being removed allows for a clearer aural soundstage.

Like you I started from simple experiments using strategically placed materials and objects to stop reflections and bass enhancement, and taking REW measurements as I went. What I did find interesting was that small improvement in the EQ curve could have big improvements on the perceived SQ. As with most of us I had to compromise in the living room where the HiFi is, If I want to do some serious listening I use temporary velvet side curtains at the 1st reflection points, slug up on temporary rods clipped into hooks on the walls, and cover the 55" flat TV over with a dense fleece blanket. I took measurements of this set up and I get a flatter frequency sweep and reverb is down below 300ms across the spectrum, which I think is recommended.

I will be interested to see how you address diffusion and if you make some diffusers yourself.

Cheers Adrian
    Not tried any diffusers yet but lots of interesting designs on the market. Might look at making some myself. However I need to address some more reverb and excessive reflections first! Not worried about bass but clearing up the midrange and top end seems to bring about big rewards the more I do.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Not tried any diffusers yet but lots of interesting designs on the market. Might look at making some myself. However I need to address some more reverb and excessive reflections first! Not worried about bass but clearing up the midrange and top end seems to bring about big rewards the more I do.
    Stick some big plants in the corners, or similar, I have a 5’ tall sheaf of ornamental Reed in one of ours, made a difference to bass reverb. Shelves with randomly placed books and objects behind where you sit helps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Just recreate a 1970s room:

Shag pile carpets, with rugs on top ('So the carpet doesn't get marked')

Heavy curtains (double glazing rare back then)

Bookshelves full of books, with ornaments and other tat scattered on top

Pictures all over the walls along with other tat like a dagger from Morocco or one of those drinking horns hanging up

Heavily padded, fabric covered chairs and couch

Big rubber plants in big pots

No comparison with your modern faux-Danish style rooms for sound quality, they are always way too bright.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

A 1970s room yesterday

Modern glare factory (earlier today)

upload pic
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A 1970s room yesterday

Modern glare factory (earlier today)

upload pic
    Brilliant. That's why music and hifi sounded better in the 70's!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Just recreate a 1970s room:

Shag pile carpets, with rugs on top ('So the carpet doesn't get marked')

Heavy curtains (double glazing rare back then)

Bookshelves full of books, with ornaments and other tat scattered on top

Pictures all over the walls along with other tat like a dagger from Morocco or one of those drinking horns hanging up

Heavily padded, fabric covered chairs and couch

Big rubber plants in big pots

No comparison with your modern faux-Danish style rooms for sound quality, they are always way too bright.
    Sounds like my room, except for the rubber plants. Certainly there are shelves of books and LPs, and heavy curtains.
    Barry

I'm James.

I think if you take a look at my room I am somewhere in the middle?

+ Reply to Thread