+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm Kevin.

The problem with acoustic panels is having the WAF acceptability criteria fulfilled, at the same time as having the audio criteria at an acceptable level.
    My listening space is certainly not as attractive as yours, as I have my home working space, my UK TV, Hifi, sim racing rig and the Sofas squeezed into it.
    I have a wall just behind my head, but as long as the volume levels are kept reasonable, the system sounds fine. I don't have any sidewalls next to my speakers, so my first reflection point is likely to be the wall. I really should try and do something....

As my "cave" is on a mezzanine floor, speaker isolation was a priority, but also the volume needs to stay reasonable. The IsoPucks made a big difference. I let a friend borrow them, and he has since ordered them, as he could not believe what a difference they made.

I don't have WAF to take into consideration, as she never spends an extended period time in my man cave. But sticking rockwool on the wall behind me does not appeal to me.
    It needs to be something aesthetically pleasing. I started to look at GIK panels, but getting the right images is always a challenge.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The problem with acoustic panels is having the WAF acceptability criteria fulfilled, at the same time as having the audio criteria at an acceptable level.
    My listening space is certainly not as attractive as yours, as I have my home working space, my UK TV, Hifi, sim racing rig and the Sofas squeezed into it.
    I have a wall just behind my head, but as long as the volume levels are kept reasonable, the system sounds fine. I don't have any sidewalls next to my speakers, so my first reflection point is likely to be the wall. I really should try and do something....

As my "cave" is on a mezzanine floor, speaker isolation was a priority, but also the volume needs to stay reasonable. The IsoPucks made a big difference. I let a friend borrow them, and he has since ordered them, as he could not believe what a difference they made.

I don't have WAF to take into consideration, as she never spends an extended period time in my man cave. But sticking rockwool on the wall behind me does not appeal to me.
    It needs to be something aesthetically pleasing. I started to look at GIK panels, but getting the right images is always a challenge.
    Yes the WAF appeal does have to be taken into account but even without WAF I agree it does have to fit in with your living environment and look acceptable. I would definitely recommend trialling some rock wool battens, you will be surprised at the result. Try and reduce any reflective surfaces lespecially glass and hard surfaces if you can. Biggest differences are around imaging and the details contain there in.

I am almost certainly going to try the Isopucks Kev when I get round to it. I am sure they are going to add something significant or take something significant away? I need 8 x 9Kg weight bearing picks so that's £200 which sounds reasonable price.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Just to show you what can be done to make room acoustics look appealing. This is my mates place and shows some construction of some of the individual panels. sorry there are quite a few pics but scroll through to the end to see finished result. It is amazing!

https://sonoritydesign.co.uk/index.p...-so-long-then/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Grant.

just needs the long table and the stucket pig
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just to show you what can be done to make room acoustics look appealing. This is my mates place and shows some construction of some of the individual panels. sorry there are quite a few pics but scroll through to the end to see finished result. It is amazing!

https://sonoritydesign.co.uk/index.p...-so-long-then/
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

I am planning to finish my cinema room this year, but there is no way that I am going to that level of sound proofing.
    I plan on doing some, but my challenge is going to be the floor, as it is a suspended wooden floor. The joists are visible in the lounge and kitchen, so if I don't want a step into the cinema room, then I have to insulate in the main living areas.
    Options are, do nothing, or spend a lot of time making things look nice downstairs. The wife wants me to paint the wood white downstairs, so this may be an opportunity to improve the acoustic insulation in the cinema room, and keep her happy.

I should also decouple my sub from the wooden floor.
    Kevin

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    just needs the long table and the stucket pig
    It does have that feel. With all the furniture etc he has now installed there is a steam punk vibe!

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yesterday I started to Investigate improvements to my listening room acoustics as I have already found significant changes can be affected with increasing the amount of general furnishings in the room. However the next stage will have to include deliberate "audiophile" acoustic solutions. If the listening room was absolutely under my control and I did not have to share it as a living space I could go very extreme and build into it all the significant room acoustic architecture I would need to control the acoustic signature of the room. I have gained an extensive knowledge of how to do this from my friend Steve who has taken this approach to the extreme. But I have to share the living space with family and it has to be seen as an "acceptable" living room although I have been granted it is our listening room.

Last year I removed everything from the room and observed that is was indeed a big echoey space. even though it was carpeted and had decent underlay. At one end of the room I have a large window and at the back of the room behind my head I have two large glass panelled doors exiting into the kitchen diner. These have now been sorted with very thick super insulated and thermally lined curtains at the one end and to get around the door problems at the other I just open them. No reflection there.

Moving three sofas into the room then damped down the acoustics significantly and when the curtains are drawn I get a very good controlled end to that part of the room with the speakers. Further up the room towards the listening chair I start to notice the room reflections and reverberation. Simple hand claps will tell you how reflective the room gets.. I have absolutely no problems with bass issues and probably even lack a bit of bass but midrange is excellent. However the treble/ top end information as is quite common has issues. The amount of furnishing in the room has taken away any grain and harshness to the sound. It certainly does not sound overly bright and cymbals etc ring true and clean without any glare or over emphasis.

So you might think as I did what are the issues with the acoustics regarding the top end. Well in order to understand this I have had to start implementing some first reflection point acoustic absorption. You sometimes don't know how things can sound better or what you are missing until the improvements happen and this its certainly true of room acoustics. When you start implementing acoustic control you influence the sound of you system and what it can achieve significantly. I am keen however to not go to far and take away anything that I have that I feel is good.

So the first issue was to prevent the glass in the bookshelf from reflecting and influencing the treble coming from the right and speakers. So a panel of very thick padded material with sound absorbing properties is being made for this. On the other side of the room I will have to install another panel of probably rock wool covered either in plain material or maybe art work. I know how to construct this but in order to understand the effect it would have I tried a make shift panel. I may need another smaller panel on the left hand side too bit will assess how the book case glass panel works first.

As I mentioned I did roughly install some make shift panels and there results were as follows.

1. The imaging became much more precise and everything in the sound stage could be observed far more clearly.

2. Treble was not rolled of or reduced but greater levels of detail were exposed.

3. Soundstage was not changed in size but way more controlled. Where as before it was a bit fuzzy round the extremes and a bit effusive it snapped into focus. There was again more precision as to what was happening and where in the sound stage and the depth and edges were far easier to ascertain.

4. The combination of a lot better imaging and more detail produced some astonishing effects. These being information in the recordings that were hither to unintelligible or missing snapped into focus and were revealed. Harmonies and layering of information in the recordings were suddenly perceptible. It was as if all the information was there before but mixed together so some parts of the recording obscured others. The effect of sorting the first reflective points untangled all parts of the recording mix and made them much more obvious and clear cut.

I can only liken it to looking through a camera lens and then turning it to focus on the subject.

To be honest it was not a surprise that controlling the first reflection points had a significant outcome but what was a surprise was what it actually did. I have heard acoustically treated rooms but until you do it yourself with a system and room you know well you can't quite get a handle on what the effects were. I found they were profound and once heard cannot be unheard.

I will post up some picture when I have the finished the reflection point acoustics when they are made properly and installed as they are only prototypes currently for me to certain if they were worth doing and what effects they had.

From what I heard they are absolutely worth installing and have made a huge difference to that critical part of my system where you hear most of the information that is going on in the recording. It just goes to show how important it is to pay attention to your system and its interaction with the room acoustics as you can miss out on so much potential you never realised was there.
    The Room: The most important and most overlooked part of the audio chain. I have posted many photos (sorry for so many but I forget a lot if I dont photograph it). I have been in this room for over 23 years and did not seriously attack the "room" issues until about four years ago. It was the biggest and most satisfying improvement ever in my over 40 years of listening rooms. I have been in every position on every square inch of this room and after years of placement and positioning of things it was worth it all. I will say also that the textbook answer or theory is not always what ends up working as each room, gear, and pair of ears are different but there are plenty of places to read and at least get started. It may save you unnecessary money and more importantly to me it saved me time. There are no more hours of switching speakers, or positions, and on and on. just fire things up and listen. I and "WE" are types that will still always try new stuff and new ideas but once I knew this room and what it took to help it give me the best it possibly could the reward was huge. Anything now that is new or unrecognized like a component and even sometimes a cable is noticed also, and sometimes not in a subtle way.

Cheers

I'm Charles.

I'm Andrew.

Right tonight is the night to read this thread !!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast