+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm Grant.

my older one is a vax.. blade 2 and its been very reliable. got a new one for upstairs a few months ago. its a shark.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

no record cleaner now; sold it to a member
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Not sure if you saw I had an issue with collapsed suspension on my new 2M Black stylus! However this was replaced by the dealer for another new stylus which looks way better and sounds superb.
    Yes I saw your posts, nice that you got it sorted with little hassle. it will be a new stylus for me - I have no intention of moving from my 2M Black. It just sounds right to me, so why change?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Yes I saw your posts, nice that you got it sorted with little hassle. it will be a new stylus for me - I have no intention of moving from my 2M Black. It just sounds right to me, so why change?
    Exactly, that's why I have used one for the past 7 years. Tried other stuff but they just don't deliver the clarity and dynamics of the 2M. I have considered MC but I would need to spend £2000 to get something really better and another phono stage or SUT. Rather spend my cash on more vinyl.

Just going back to my suspension issue, apparently a number of 2M stylus can suffer from this, not sure if its a quality control issue especially as Ortofon are now making huge quantities of cartridges for the world market.

A dealer I spoke to recently saw a huge carton of Cadenza Black MC cartridges at a distributor and he recons there must have been hundreds in the box so obviously there is a lot of demand.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Yes I think pretty much on the same lines Steve. If I had bottomless pockets it might be different, but most of us in the real world have to choose one thing over another. At the end of the day it's the music that matters - we buy hifi to make our records/CDs sound better, rather than buying music that makes our hifi sound better! Or we should be...

Not sure where I'll be buying one (Amazon at £369 seems to be best price right now), but I will certainly be looking at it very closely, not a bargain if it arrives bent as a dog's dick.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

last time I looked a few years back replacement stylus for mine was £240 which I thought was crazy, now up to £449.

That's almost a week's take-home which is just ludicrous.

Cheaper on eBay but probably fake.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    last time I looked a few years back replacement stylus for mine was £240 which I thought was crazy, now up to £449.

That's almost a week's take-home which is just ludicrous.

Cheaper on eBay but probably fake.
    MP300?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    MP300?
    MP500.

I would go through a stylus about every six months, doing that now would be almost a grand a year.

I can afford it but I can't stomach it. Same amount buy me about 200 used CDs.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    MP500.

I would go through a stylus about every six months, doing that now would be almost a grand a year.

I can afford it but I can't stomach it. Same amount buy me about 200 used CDs.
    Two and a half years of those kind of savings could buy you a minty used Accuphase CD player that doesn't have a loading slot

You're shining a light on the harsh reality of vinyl replay costs, and it is something most record lovers try not to think about... my records and CDs don't get that many hours play per week (probably about 4/5 hours), and CD/vinyl ratio about 3:1, so my stylus would last a long time. But now I'm home more that will change, so I do need to get it replaced.

I'd be reluctant to chuck the old one away though - is a worn one easy to spot? Would one of those mini-magnifiers that jewellers use do the job? I think we have one somewhere.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Two and a half years of those kind of savings could buy you a minty used Accuphase CD player that doesn't have a loading slot

You're shining a light on the harsh reality of vinyl replay costs, and it is something most record lovers try not to think about... my records and CDs don't get that many hours play per week (probably about 4/5 hours), and CD/vinyl ratio about 3:1, so my stylus would last a long time. But now I'm home more that will change, so I do need to get it replaced.

I'd be reluctant to chuck the old one away though - is a worn one easy to spot? Would one of those mini-magnifiers that jewellers use do the job? I think we have one somewhere.
    I usually have about a four hour session and when I was running both vinyl and digital it would be one or the other, I don't like to change lanes once I'm underway. So soon rack up the hours.

I would wait until I heard degradation before changing the stylus and that isn't a good idea as before you actually hear it going bad there's a risk of damage to the record.

I've read different things about looking at the stylus to check wear. Some say you can't tell others say that you can. Either way seems like a ball-ache too far. The CD is the same every time, no wear and when the player packs in you know right away. I mean my Audiolab transport cost the same as a replacement stylus for my cartridge and although it will die at some point it won't be after only six months and its 'objective' sound quality is better than any turntable system at any price.

Yes I like records, I like turntables, I like playing records, and good quality records on a good deck sound great but overall there's so many other problems aside from the expense (which has now got silly) - that's why the world moved on.

(Yes I do want that Accuphase but so far manage to talk myself out of it).
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread