+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 121 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Mainly the imaging and top end information. Controlling the first reflection points has had a dramatic effect on all aspects of the soundstage. It is now wider, deeper and all aspects of the recording can now be pin pointed and observed more clearly. Some of the information previously had been obscured by the screwed up reflections and timing I was getting from the tweeters which had bounced it round the room a bit too much.

Now everything in the recording is clearer and more intelligible. Acoustic reflections and recorded ambience are easier to discern and in some cases previously hidden aspects are now resolved far clearer. Bit like focussing a camera lens where you can see the image far clearer.

If you look through some of the links I have put up Andy you will understand what I am trying to achieve and some of the benefits I am now hearing.

A great result, James. I think many do not realise just how SQ improvement can be made with some care speaker adjustments and sympathetic room treatment.

I did a similar exercise a few months ago, and using REW measurements as I made changes I could not only hear the improvements but also see the changes in the frequency response at my listening position. I started tuning the speaker postion to its optimum within my room constraints and then added temporary dampers(curtains, fleece throes) and removed or cover up reflective items(TV, pictures). If I hang old thick curtains at the 1st & 2nd reflection points this really improves imaging and definition. I have put 2 art acoustic panels on the wall I face when listening and this also helps definition. On the wall behind me I put up all my old CD shelving and CDs randomly spaced along with some other objects this also helped. From the REW measurements I could achieve more improvement but that would mean installing bass traps and that would be a step too far for SWMBO. The temporary curtains at the 1st, 2nd reflection points I put up on 1m poles I hang in hooks on walls when I feel like it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    A great result, James. I think many do not realise just how SQ improvement can be made with some care speaker adjustments and sympathetic room treatment.

I did a similar exercise a few months ago, and using REW measurements as I made changes I could not only hear the improvements but also see the changes in the frequency response at my listening position. I started tuning the speaker postion to its optimum within my room constraints and then added temporary dampers(curtains, fleece throes) and removed or cover up reflective items(TV, pictures). If I hang old thick curtains at the 1st & 2nd reflection points this really improves imaging and definition. I have put 2 art acoustic panels on the wall I face when listening and this also helps definition. On the wall behind me I put up all my old CD shelving and CDs randomly spaced along with some other objects this also helped. From the REW measurements I could achieve more improvement but that would mean installing bass traps and that would be a step too far for SWMBO. The temporary curtains at the 1st, 2nd reflection points I put up on 1m poles I hang in hooks on walls when I feel like it.
    Great stuff Adrian and thanks for sharing your acoustic room journey. I agree that much can be achieved with heavy curtains and just rearranging pictures and furniture. I will be measuring my room with EQ Wizard when I get round to it. But in the meantime I am placing acoustic panels where I think I need them most which will be at the first reflection points. However I have much bigger ideas going forward so this is just the start!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Great result for small outlay. Some of us spend thousands to try to achieve what you're achieving here. Are you going further with thicker panels or are you leaving things as they are.
    Any chance of some pictures of size/positioning James.
    That's interesting re bass traps James.
    First panel made mate. Very happy with it so will continue this afternoon with next. I have some even bigger plans going forward which will mean a fair bit of construction and not only more panels but bigger as I have had the go ahead for Wall Art. Now I know how to construct these panels I have plans to go a lot further!

I will put some pics up when they are up.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Great stuff Adrian and thanks for sharing your acoustic room journey. I agree that much can be achieved with heavy curtains and just rearranging pictures and furniture. I will be measuring my room with EQ Wizard when I get round to it. But in the meantime I am placing acoustic panels where I think I need them most which will be at the first reflection points. However I have much bigger ideas going forward so this is just the start!
    It was recommended to me to not get too hung up on a flattish frequencies response, but to try and get the reverb figures across the Frequencies to below 300ms, I have managed to get everything to around this apart from below 200Hz which varies up to 400ms
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm James.

So first finished panels are rolling of the production line....

These will be the first of many as I wanted to work out how to make effective panels first and then move on to larger and more ambitious stuff later. These are just for first reflection points in the critical positions but I do intend to produce a much larger one for the rear of the room and maybe two more if needed for the front of the room. Looking forward to assessing them this evening as they are rather better than the prototypes I constructed earlier in the week.

35B7DC7A-773B-4BC7-B00C-8CA55480C6BA by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/162281319@N03/]/url], on Flickr

234910CF-A371-4898-B97E-0805825814D8 by Jy, on Flickr

E411A1AC-66EC-42F5-8D76-571420391C29 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/162281319@N03/y[/url], on Flickr

306698F6-94E4-42AA-A105-9CFF6687DEA9 by y, on Flickr

B1E12D6B-F645-486A-BEB9-EE4578252356 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/162281319@N03/]/url], on Flickr

F2F7F1EC-B61A-4A2C-B780-25A088A4BF8B by , on Flickr

I'm Adrian.

They look the business, but has your better half seen then or are they a surprise?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    They look the business, but has your better half seen then or are they a surprise?
    Yes they have been seen and approved, in fact she has requested more!

I'm Kevin.

Can we see a picture with the curtains closed?
    I want to see if they have any holes in them....
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Can we see a picture with the curtains closed?
    I want to see if they have any holes in them....

I'm Brian.

Panels look fab mate. They look as if they belong there. WAF off the scale then
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread