+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 118 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    That is brilliant and well described.
    I have had gains like this specifically from two kit upgrades, firstly with the new speakers - Arke built Troel Gravesen Ekta Mk2, stunning performance.

Secondly when I finally removed the digital mush by installing a SOtM DDC into the USB output from the music server. I'm guessing the galvanic isolation may have been the reason for this improvement.
    I have always had a high regard for Troel Gravensen projects and I can quite believe his speaker designs if implemented well, which I am sure Jason does perfectly, are fabulous sounding. I have not heard any but would definitely put them on my list of speakers to aspire too. I have looked at many of his designs which include some very big beasts which would probably suit my room very well.

The SOtM digital gear has always been very highly regarded too so not surprised their DDC is doing good things in your system. Anything that brings greater clarity to a system is a winner in my book as long as it does not reduce other aspects of the sound you enjoy.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Great post again James. I really like the way you take time to explain the process and the benefits. This thread is rapidly turning into an excellent reference point for anyone who is planning to explore the area of room treatment. I will be using it myself in the coming months when I go down this road, albeit on a smaller scale

Cheers Brian, writing my thoughts down as I go through any process helps me as a reference point for the future as I quickly forget! but if it is of any use to anyone else that is always a bonus. Not always easy to articulate what is going on with your system sometimes and you need time and thought to work it through so I try and capture this on my blog.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

After a few more evenings and racking up quite a few hours listening to the new room arrangement I have to admit a "schoolboy error"! Sometimes when your doing stuff with your system you make stupid mistakes like wiring amps up wrongly or forgetting to check overhang on cartridges. In my eagerness to optimise the potential of any room treatment I had moved the speakers back and forth a number of times BUT I forgot to put them back in their original position! They have a sweet spot which is 90-100cm from the front wall to the front baffle. I had moved them 150-200cm and used acoustic panels to ameliorate the effects. This as I found out yesterday was a big mistake.

When I moved the speakers back to their original position all the benefits I had been hearing jumped a number of notches in SQ. I checked the alignment of the acoustic panels using the mirror method and I could still see the speakers tweeters and midrange units perfectly clear. The improvement once again was quite amazing.

Next stage will be to add more panels as I have already heard benefits from using acoustic material further down the side walls. I am yet to try anything on the back wall as I don't have anything large enough currently that will suit. As I have mentioned there seems to be no downsides in addressing the acoustics of the room apart maybe aesthetics. Improvements are across the board and improve everything audiophiles look for. I have lost nothing but gained so much in every respect to the sound and information I am hearing from my system.

I'm Adrian.

Sounds good to me James!
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Sounds good to me James!
    Cheers Adrian. Just shows how easy it is to make silly mistakes in the rush to try something new!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Cheers Adrian. Just shows how easy it is to make silly mistakes in the rush to try something new!
    Yes James I did the stupid mistake thing yesterday. I wanted to try a different ohm setting on the phono in the new Krell pre-amp(new to me). So I unplugged it all took off the lid, changed the dip switches and put it all back. Powered up, but total silence I struggled round the back to check the connections, still nothing so panic setting in I removed it again and checked inside, all good so put it all back, powered on. No, no, no nothing still.

I was entering melt down phase and then suddenly noticed the Tape knob was pointing to tape not select. I must have moved it without realising, turned it to select and presto I had sound

Later I noticed a slight hum when not playing music but with had phono selected, not occurring on other inputs. Initially I thought I might have caused it but then I thought well it was not there when using the Sunilda phono stage. I sat down and had a cuppa tea and considered what might cause it. So I thought first this time rather than just unplug it all. Then a light bulb moment, the 90’s Hitachi tuner was sat on top of the Krell pre and but was not on, could it be it was causing the hum. I unplugged the mains to it and instantly silence, joy of joys, the Hitachi had power to its transformer and this was inducing the hum in the phono of the Krell phono.

So I have taken the tuner out of the system for know. The vinyl replay using the Krell phono is now very, very good, so I got there in the end
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm James.

Yes James I did the stupid mistake thing yesterday. I wanted to try a different ohm setting on the phono in the new Krell pre-amp(new to me). So I unplugged it all took off the lid, changed the dip switches and put it all back. Powered up, but total silence I struggled round the back to check the connections, still nothing so panic setting in I removed it again and checked inside, all good so put it all back, powered on. No, no, no nothing still.

I was entering melt down phase and then suddenly noticed the Tape knob was pointing to tape not select. I must have moved it without realising, turned it to select and presto I had sound

Later I noticed a slight hum when not playing music but with had phono selected, not occurring on other inputs. Initially I thought I might have caused it but then I thought well it was not there when using the Sunilda phono stage. I sat down and had a cuppa tea and considered what might cause it. So I thought first this time rather than just unplug it all. Then a light bulb moment, the 90’s Hitachi tuner was sat on top of the Krell pre and but was not on, could it be it was causing the hum. I unplugged the mains to it and instantly silence, joy of joys, the Hitachi had power to its transformer and this was inducing the hum in the phono of the Krell phono.

So I have taken the tuner out of the system for know. The vinyl replay using the Krell phono is now very, very good, so I got there in the end
    Great you managed to track down the gremlins and sort your system out! I bet the Krell amplification sounds sweet!

I had a slight hum/buzz on my system at Christmas which drove me mad. Tracked it down to bloody fairy lights plugged into the same ring main.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Great you managed to track down the gremlins and sort your system out! I bet the Krell amplification sounds sweet!

I had a slight hum/buzz on my system at Christmas which drove me mad. Tracked it down to bloody fairy lights plugged into the same ring main.
    Don’t talk to me about fairy lights, my wife is an obsessive about them. You could land a small aircraft using the outside lights hung of the guttering and the trees are festooned. I’m sure I can here the transformers buzzing as I walk up the drive

I'm James.

Don’t talk to me about fairy lights, my wife is an obsessive about them. You could land a small aircraft using the outside lights hung of the guttering and the trees are festooned. I’m sure I can here the transformers buzzing as I walk up the drive

I'm Brian.

Good post again James. Just shows the importance of speaker positioning relative to listening position. Unfortunately due to a door I don't have much leeway with speaker positioning, although I haven't consciously or carefully adjusted speaker position to maximise SQ. Another job I need to take care of soon
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 118 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast