+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    late 70's
    So they have lasted longer than Dixons. The first Hifi shop I walked into was called Laskys in Wolverhampton. Think I bought a turntable from them? I think you had Laskys in Scotland grant as they had 43 stores as far as Aberdeen!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

If it wasn't for the old style Richer Sounds I don't think I would ever have got into hi-fi. They were the only place you could buy separates really cheap. There was Comet too and they used to advertise amazing bargains in the newspaper but when you went down there they never had any of it in stock. Laskey's was for millionaires
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So they have lasted longer than Dixons.
    They've lasted longer than Dixons because they are good and Dixons was wank.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

used to go to the big comet warehouse in edinburgh a lot. was an amazing place full of shiny rotel etc.. those were the days..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

I bought my first HiFi “separate“ from Richer Sounds in Glasgow.
    I think it was an Aiwa ADF-450 tape deck, but my memory is a little hazy.

I think that was paired with Jamo Compact 90 speakers, a Kenwood KA3020SE amp and a Pioneer PD-S703 CD.
    Apart from the speakers, I still have all of the components. It would be interesting to see how far I have “progressed” over the years.

I can even build my second system - Arcam Alpha 7SE CD, Alpha 8R and 8P amplification with Cyrus CLS70 speakers.
    When my wife takes my daughter skiing for a week, I may have to put the systems together and see what works best.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I bought my first HiFi “separate“ from Richer Sounds in Glasgow.
    I think it was an Aiwa ADF-450 tape deck, but my memory is a little hazy.

I think that was paired with Jamo Compact 90 speakers, a Kenwood KA3020SE amp and a Pioneer PD-S703 CD.
    Apart from the speakers, I still have all of the components. It would be interesting to see how far I have “progressed” over the years.

I can even build my second system - Arcam Alpha 7SE CD, Alpha 8R and 8P amplification with Cyrus CLS70 speakers.
    When my wife takes my daughter skiing for a week, I may have to put the systems together and see what works best.
    Would be good to hear what your old systems sounded like? I had an Aiwa tape deck for a short while but replaced it with a JVC. Where are they both now?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Kevin.

Yes, indeed. The Jamo Compact 90 were great for the price I paid - £0.
    But they got damaged at a student house party. I replaced them with KEF Coda 9, which I still use in my home cinema system (paired with Coda C and Coda 7).

I would not expect either system to be as competent as my current system, but if you take “sound for pound” into consideration, then I may be in for a shock.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Yes, indeed. The Jamo Compact 90 were great for the price I paid - £0.
    But they got damaged at a student house party. I replaced them with KEF Coda 9, which I still use in my home cinema system (paired with Coda C and Coda 7).

I would not expect either system to be as competent as my current system, but if you take “sound for pound” into consideration, then I may be in for a shock.
    Absolutely. I would love to go back over some of my old system set ups and hear them again but I know none would come anywhere near what I have now. Every part of my current system far exceeded what I had back in the past even though I had some great stuff. You would laugh if you saw my Gerrard 301 turntable suspended on a wall shelf with no plinth just resting on the shelf with the motor dangling down. The tonearm was good and the Decca cartridge but I had no idea if they were installed correctly and I knew nothing about cartridge set up then as long as it was fixed to the arm!!

I'm Grant.

would love to have my old mf a1000 again. but they are getting hard to find in good nick now. mine was pretty pristine
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My first amplifier was a home-built Mullard 5-10. The TT was a Garrard SP25 II, with a Shure M3D cartridge (later replaced with an Audio Technika AT66). Speaker(s) were home-built using a Wharfedale RS8DD drive unit in a Wharfedale-designed distributed port enclosure of about 1 cu ft in size.

Later donated it all to my parents who used it with a Teleton 206Q amplifier:

Happy days.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast