+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 122 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm Chris.

I wrapped my panels in white material to merge with the (white) walls. Well,they don't disappear but it helps.
    The speakers are white for same reason. A bit different from Klipschorns from the 90s,or the Leak 3090s that were here for 10 years.
    Chris.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Interesting journey James, a good read too.

Not looked at room treatment,
    but for speaker placement I found this guys methodology really good.
    Worked great for me.

I will take a look at that later Gary - thanks
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    I wrapped my panels in white material to merge with the (white) walls. Well,they don't disappear but it helps.
    The speakers are white for same reason. A bit different from Klipschorns from the 90s,or the Leak 3090s that were here for 10 years.
    Yeah there is so much you can do with these panels Chris. I need them to stay WAF friendly so they will either co ordinated to match the room or eventually end up as Art works whatever those maybe?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Another view of the system. Mid century meets modern.

29D7B6A6-1190-43A2-9F30-6C3BF8A54923 by y, on Flickr

I'm Brian.

Fab pictures James. Those are mighty big speakers
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Fab pictures James. Those are mighty big speakers
    Cheers Brian.

They are big and difficult to get a true perspective of them in the room from the other end where they can look small.

This is another picture I took yesterday without the sofa and sitting half way down the room. There is about 10 feet behind my listening position to the back of the room from here but it would mean putting the sofa almost in front of the wood burner.

ED88AB55-4A5C-44A1-8970-B425D13CC7D5_1_201_a by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/162281319@N03/[/url], on Flickr

I'm Brian.

looks like a nice listening space though. Love the view from the window too
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

Materials have all arrived today so tomorrow will be final assembly for first reflection traps. After reading and consulting a good many reference articles I think it may be best to not over do the first reflection points as I do not want to attenuate any midrange frequencies and certainly no lower mid/bass frequencies so I am aiming at just the top end first reflections. Therefore the traps will not have to be too deep or too large hopefully.

As always proof of the pudding will be in the listening.

I'm Brian.

Hope it all goes well James. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article and where you put them.
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Hope it all goes well James. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article and where you put them.
    Positioning has been nearly sorted. Listening tonight - Massive soundstage, huge increase in clarity across the board.

But this is not only down to the prototype panels but also speaker positioning. They obviously go hand in hand and can only be determined by listening. Measurements may give some insight but your own ears always have the final say. All the theories and measurements only get you so far but I do acknowledge they get you close to the ball park. Personal preference in listening is the final arbiter as it is so easy to manipulate the sound depending on positioning.

When you take into consideration all the factors involved. Room, equipment, speaker position, furniture and acoustic treatment the permutations become ming boggling as with all things hifi it is a case of suck it and see and keep fiddling till you think it sound right to you. It may not be ruler flat frequency response across the spectrum and technically it may not be accurate but ultimately it is the sound you want to achieve and think sounds right to you that is important.

The acoustic treatment of course attenuates the speaker response so it has to be handled carefully. Too little and its not effective and too much and you can easily kill the sound.

I am finding that the increase in information, clarity, soundstage and imaging is the key for me. Get all these aspects right and I think you will be near optimising your system as best as you can in your home environment.

+ Reply to Thread