+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1215

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I pop into a major concert Hall quite regularly in Birmingham which is meant to be one of the best sounding concert halls in Europe and I must say I have heard some great stuff there Jazz, classical and rock music. But occasional you get a muppet on the mixing desk with cloth ears and it all goes horribly wrong and I have heard some dreadful poorly mixed stuff which have completely ruined my experience and that was usually with fantastic artists I had been waiting years to hear!

Best ever sound was Kraftwerk a few years back and it was utterly spellbinding and magnificent but I am sure they had absolutely everything under very tight control.

So even concert halls with great acoustics can sound terrible if you have amplified sound that is out of control. Not even the acoustic design of the hall can save you from thunderous amplified bass that swamps everything.
    The Symphony Hall was opened in 1991, so by they had learnt a lot about acoustic by then. I haven’t been there, but I can believe it does have world standard acoustics.
    A neat idea used is to 'alcoves' which can be opened or closed to suit the required acoustic appropriate to the size of the performing group.
    Barry

I'm James.

As I need to increase my panel size and quantity for the room acoustic treatment I have decided to go with some manufactured panels from a local company. They do a wide range of sizes, material infill and material cloth finishes in about 200 colours. I think their price is very good indeed a I would be hard pressed to build one myself for the price they are knocking them out for!

So if you are interested in some very nicely finished, well manufactured panels for a reasonable price I have attached a link here:

https://acousticpanels.co.uk/product...c-wall-panels/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Further fine tuning of the system has bought about a significant change to the overall sound . I have concentrated over the last year or so on room acoustics and system set up in particular speaker positioning placement and gained huge rewards. These have far out weighed any gains I have made in controlling vibration, tube rolling, cable changes or indeed equipment changes! I know I have been banging on about this for a good while but I am now more convinced more than ever that the interaction of your system with the room is the biggest fundamental factor in what you hear. Through my evaluation of acoustic treatment and system set up I have gained so much but it has been painstaking and may not be over yet.

I know for many it is a ball ache to swap and install acoustic material or even move speakers around but through trial and evaluation I have been amazed at the difference and a small changes can have a large impact . But room acoustics are a complex thing with so much to take into consideration and each step that you make has consequences as I found out last week. As I have written before the areas I have had the most improvement in were soundstage, imaging, ambient acoustics, transparency, tonal quality and layering of harmonic information. All subtle stuff and highly subjective but It is what I observed.

One area that was not really on my radar was detail. I know for some folk this is everything and it drives their motivation to buy gear that forensically throws more and more detail. For me I prefer the bigger picture and all the other aspects of sound quality I have listed too, but in the last few days I was shocked at another small change I made which has had a huge impact on everything. To quantify this I must just say that with controlling room acoustics although it improves many aspects of the sound quality it does have some negative aspects mainly detail retrieval . Obviously most detail is found in the higher frequencies and this is where the room treatment can adversely affect detail retrieval. Controlling everything else can scrub off some of the detail but I found a way of bringing it back without adding any brightness or harshness what so ever!

My Heco speakers have an option to lift the treble by 2db on the crossover which they recommend using in acoustic environments probably like my own. Now before the room treatment I found this option too bright and it sounded harsh but with the room acoustic treatment is has simply elevated the high end frequency information to another level and I am shocked at how much! Even some of my poorer recordings now sound superb and the really great recordings are now off the scale!

This has now tipped the balance of the sound in all areas as the uplift in detail accentuates so many other aspects of the sound quality and makes everything sound more live. It is really hard to describe the sound now but it is extremely vivid, live sounding, very transparent and holographic. Hard to put into words but sitting there last week listening I could close my eyes and there was nothing obvious there between me and the performer but an uncanny presence in the room. This was also witnessed by audiophile buddy who sits off axis and was also gobsmacked by the uplift.

Everything is a culmination of small factors that add to the listening experience. My step by step approach to room acoustics and system set up has now given me a truly outstanding level of performance that I would not have believed could be gained from the tinkering I have done. I would say to anyone who really wants the best from their system to pursue this area of their hifi as I have found more gains from room acoustics/system set up than from anything else I have done in my 40 years messing about with this hobby!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-02-2024 at 18:06. Reason: Poor grammar!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Martin.

it is amazing how small adjustments in the FR can change the whole sound. I think if more people realised this there would be less focus on things like cables and doorstops on top of DACs and a bit more on the things that really do make a difference.

BTW did you know that according to Amazon your speakers will only take 20 watts - and are waterproof?

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    it is amazing how small adjustments in the FR can change the whole sound. I think if more people realised this there would be less focus on things like cables and doorstops on top of DACs and a bit more on the things that really do make a difference.

BTW did you know that according to Amazon your speakers will only take 20 watts - and are waterproof?

So I can use my speakers outside?!

You're absolutely right Martin. I found adjusting the FR really has a huge impact on the sound and sometimes in ways you don't expect.

I'm Adrian.

So I can use my speakers outside?!

You're absolutely right Martin. I found adjusting the FR really has a huge impact on the sound and sometimes in ways you don't expect.
    Yes, I completely agree, I have said much the same myself but not as eloquently as yourself.

Unfortunately my better half has put a stop to further room treatments, so I am forced to use temporary ones easily removed. So for near perfect listening sessions it’s curtains at side walls, TV covered with a fleece throw and Venetian blinds over windows at odd angles, it is amazing how a quick change that takes 5 minutes can bring focus, detail and depth. I know it works as I measured it with REW but my ears are my prime judge of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Yes, I completely agree, I have said much the same myself but not as eloquently as yourself.

Unfortunately my better half has put a stop to further room treatments, so I am forced to use temporary ones easily removed. So for near perfect listening sessions it’s curtains at side walls, TV covered with a fleece throw and Venetian blinds over windows at odd angles, it is amazing how a quick change that takes 5 minutes can bring focus, detail and depth. I know it works as I measured it with REW but my ears are my prime judge of it.

At least you can do something even if it's only temporary as I know how difficult it is to incorporate room treatment into a "domestic" environment in a harmonious way. Unless we are single or have a "man cave" no one can really get away with the full acoustic treatment in place and have good relations with the other half!

But being aware of the differences and what room acoustic treatment can do to improve aspects of your system is certainly the first step. Even temporary solving problem areas is a good move.

I have some temporary acoustic treatment as well as permanent but my plan is to slowly creep the permanent stuff in more and more!

I'm Adrian.

I have some temporary acoustic treatment as well as permanent but my plan is to slowly creep the permanent stuff in more and more!
    My boss, wife, say “you must have a big pair of pants if you think you’re going to get away with that!”

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Chris.

Darko on his channel is expounding on room treatment,as essential.
    Your comment on a hall (philharmonic?) having alcoves reminds me of a chapel in Spain that has open ceramic pots embedded
    in the walls that must add ambience, I guess.
    Not sure I can replicate that concept in my living area!
    Chris.

I'm James.

Over the last few weeks I have been doing a bit of work on the old Lenco GL75 and trying to sort out a few issues I have with it. One area that has always been a concern was the fact it sits on its original springs which have seen better days and sag at different heights which cause an issue with levelling the turntable. I am not a great believer in the technical merits of these springs as I know the intentions of Lenco to design some sort of isolation from footfall and the like and prevent unwanted vibration reaching the table.

However I don't think they are anywhere near their original compliance and effectiveness after sitting for the best part of 50 years with a massive platter / motor weight weighing them down. So my options are to remove altogether or replace with something better or at least closer to the original spring performance. The jury is out on this one? I know so many of these turntables have gone on to become "projects" and I am very tempted myself but I would like to keep this one original as it is a true classic and it doesn't sound bad!

IMG_0671 by , on Flickr

+ Reply to Thread