+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm James.

I didn't think VTA affected Azimuth
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

Azimuth is affected by everything sadly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I will keep that in mind when I next have a fiddle!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Adrian.

How? Azimuth in the context of a stylus is defined as a vertical centre line through it, looking at the front of it, and correct setting of Azimuth is so it is at a right angle to the record surface, or have I misunderstood something here?

Or is it that due to the geometry of an arm tracking across the record the angle of the head shell changes very slightly, so it may be spot in the centre of a LP but slightly out at the outer and inner edges? If this is the case then the difference to the Azimuth must be minute, and with a modern cut stylus I would have thought likely to have minimal significance?

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Sorry Jamie, I still don't get it, Azimuth as I understand it is the angle of the stylus in the groove, that is when you look at the cartridge/stylus from the front, setting the azimuth is getting the stylus perfectly aligned vertically at 90 degrees to the record, that's my understanding anyway. If you adjust VTA/SRA by raising or lowering the rear of the arm, it will change the rake angle of the stylus in the groove, in perfect world you want to get as close to 92 degree SRA as possible.

I found this very informative https://www.analogplanet.com/content...rake-angle-sra

and

https://www.originhifi.com/blog/3556...-Guide?q=35567
    it changes because your headshell and cartridge are offset to the pivot point,because they are they are moving in an arc when the tonearm goes up and down .as you rightly say correct azimuth is having the sylus tip sitting perctly in the groove,im just saying that altering your sra/vta after this will throw azimuth out.
    have a look on the wally tools site,top of the google search results.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    How? Azimuth in the context of a stylus is defined as a vertical centre line through it, looking at the front of it, and correct setting of Azimuth is so it is at a right angle to the record surface, or have I misunderstood something here?

Or is it that due to the geometry of an arm tracking across the record the angle of the head shell changes very slightly, so it may be spot in the centre of a LP but slightly out at the outer and inner edges? If this is the case then the difference to the Azimuth must be minute, and with a modern cut stylus I would have thought likely to have minimal significance?

Michael Fremer would say absolute correct Azimuth is essential as it affects the stylus reading left and right channels. To get it bang on with no guessing it would probably best to use a Fozgometer.

https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/fozgo...h-range-meter/

I'm jamie.

@ AJSki2fly
    you have a pm

I'm Grant.

Varying pressure can vary crosstalk. Sad but alas true. Also as carts, stylish and suspensions etc are all put together by hand so this adds another issue to azimuth testing, especially by sight.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Varying pressure can vary crosstalk. Sad but alas true. Also as carts, stylish and suspensions etc are all put together by hand so this adds another issue to azimuth testing, especially by sight.
    Then a Fozgometer would be the only absolute way knowing you have achieved perfect Azimuth.

I'm Grant.

Certainly will be one tool. There used to be a system called ..'someyhing'.magic..or magik. Need to look it up. It was a pc program and some tools that did everything under the one banner. Might not be going now tho.
    The frog would be a good help I think. Azi is usually set close first then is set bang on after the others. Don't forget anti skate as it has an affect on stylus pressure etc both vertical and sideways
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread