+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Good post again James. Just shows the importance of speaker positioning relative to listening position. Unfortunately due to a door I don't have much leeway with speaker positioning, although I haven't consciously or carefully adjusted speaker position to maximise SQ. Another job I need to take care of soon
    Sometimes having a larger room can bring about its own issues as you have more options where as in a small room you can be limited regarding speaker position and related listening position. With larger rooms the options mean you can try a lot more positioning and it took me about 6 months before I found there really was only one ideal speaker position where they worked well with the room acoustics. As I found, it is important to always remember this as any room treatment should only be added in relation to this position and not the other way round!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

I wouldn't have thought about maximising speaker position before adding room treatment but when I think about it, yes that rings true. I will be having a think about getting the most from my speakers in the coming weeks, then considering what to add in the way of room treatment after that.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Well, I've been very slowly messing about with my room. I banished all my pictures with a glass covering, I have to say that things do sound better. I'm always sceptical of such things but the soundstage just sounds a lot better. Difficult to pin down. I've had the same kit now for a number of years and you just know when things sound better or take a tumble and sounds worse. So, for me it's probably going to be some towels and sheets draped around the place, maybe at the sides of the speakers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the effects of thick curtains sitting behind forward ported cabs? I have a thin bling sitting in front of my window which probably does next to bugger all with respects to reflections pinging around of the glass. I'm thinking big old thick curtains may work as a decent reflection damper?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

It is quite a change Andy once you start treating the room with acoustic material and I found it took sometime for me to work out what had changed. Its a subtle but noticeable effect but so far I have found no downsides.

Without committing to any proper acoustic materials it is a good idea to try stuff you have lying around. Cushions, duvets and thick curtains are all good candidates to start with and even a blind drawn down over a window will. stop some first reflections. Furniture and carpet make a big difference and all add up!

However when you commit to making a few panels I can help point you in the right direction for very little money! See how you get on with the other stuff first. I would concentrate on first reflections first, they are the biggest bang for bucks!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

A couple of quick bodge jobs. And no before you ask I'm not trying to dry the towels with the valve amps .

I've rolled the speakers back another couple of inches. I've also done my own school boy error in the ear position is not the same height as central speaker cone position. Central cone position in the Tannoys is 91cm from the ground, I tend to listen in a semi-slouched position, my ear height is approx 85cm from the ground, 6cm difference, so I'll be raising my listening chair with some castors. I'm already sitting up and I can tell that I'm missing out on a better soundstage experience. That's me just being bloody lazy!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Grant.

pizzo tweeters??
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    pizzo tweeters??
    No just Batpure (sic)?? tweeters from fleabay.

Sorry Jim, thread drift.

https://www.musicoff.com/musica-e-cu...-hi-fi-system/
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    No just Batpure (sic)?? tweeters from fleabay.

Sorry Jim, thread drift.

https://www.musicoff.com/musica-e-cu...-hi-fi-system/
    yup. i have a set somewhere... think they are pizzo
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Piezo?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

It does look a bit like your just drying some towels mate.

+ Reply to Thread