+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I suggest you follow the Linn school of arm/cartridge installation: tighten everything until the threads strip, then slacken off a quarter turn.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Jim have you tried a Panzerholz spacer bewteen the 2M and the tonearm? Probably a worthwhile mod for stopping most vibration getting into the cartridge from the tonearm?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Linn's argument is that excess energy that has not been used to generate an electrical output by the cartridge, should be given an unimpeded mechanical path so it can be absorbed by the mass of the armboard/turntable.
    On the other hand, such an unimpeded path might allow vibration from the turntable passing back into the arm and cartridge.
    I think it depends on the cartridge and on the turntable.
    Barry

I'm James.

Vibration control is absolutely everything when it concerns turntables as by their nature they work on the principles of vibration ie stylus in the groove, however all other vibrations either physical or airborne should be controlled so as not to influence in a detrimental way the information produced by the stylus. To this end I am always assessing vibration in and around my turntable and the only way I do this is by trial and error tweaking anything that can be tweaked or looking at the environment and materials the TT sits on or is supported by.

Actual evaluation of the turntable components and their interaction is an area I have now only really started to think about in detail and experiment with so all suggestions are welcome. I know you have looked at this area yourself Andy so any recommendations will be great. I will continue with just tweaking the original components first to see what happens.

Just on the subject of grub screws holding the tonearm pillar secure I do know some folk have experimented with rubber nosed screws so this maybe my next trial. As with everything you just have to try, listen and determine whether something works in a positive way or not but when I think of all the possible areas that can affect vibrations from the stylus in a turntable there are many.

I know that manufacturers do take a lot of this into account when they are developing and building turntables but that maybe just to their ears. After all I have found some serious faults which I would not have done many times with turntables which affect SQ.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Just an interesting read on turntable set up and possible areas that could be a problem.

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/...system-set-up/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just an interesting read on turntable set up and possible areas that could be a problem.

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/...system-set-up/
    I had a read, and the cartridge set up was interesting. My Benz-Micr0 LP-S can run at 1.8-2.2gm tracking force, several site recommend 1.8gm, I have run it at just over 1.8gm, but the article prompted me to increase the force to 2.0gm, I checked VTA and alignment at the same time and these are still spot on. My initial thoughts, just listening to 2 tracks, on the increased tracking weight is that there is an improvement, what I can only described as tonally better balanced, and a little more warmth in the presentation.

I will have a longer listen and see if I can give a better description.
    Last edited by AJSki2fly; 30-05-2023 at 10:51. Reason: spelling
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

I would like to mess around with the VTA again after reading the possible improvements I could achieve but I feel I may run round in circles as different record thickness affects VTA and the 2M black is a nightmare to get spot on anyway. I will have a listen at different tracking weights however as I have stuck at just under 1.6g VTF for sometime and it would be interesting to know if it sounds better at slightly higher or lower VTF. Ortofon recommend 1.5g?

I'm jamie.

have a good look at this video mate,
    its a game changer for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ApPo7htUg

you really need a microsope to check sra/vta but after watching the vid a few times id focus on azimuth and zenith angles,thats where the big gains are.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by karma1967 View Post
    have a good look at this video mate,
    its a game changer for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ApPo7htUg

you really need a microsope to check sra/vta but after watching the vid a few times id focus on azimuth and zenith angles,thats where the big gains are.
    I will check it out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I had a read, and the cartridge set up was interesting. My Benz-Micr0 LP-S can run at 1.8-2.2gm tracking force, several site recommend 1.8gm, I have run it at just over 1.8gm, but the article prompted me to increase the force to 2.0gm, I checked VTA and alignment at the same time and these are still spot on. My initial thoughts, just listening to 2 tracks, on the increased tracking weight is that there is an improvement, what I can only described as tonally better balanced, and a little more warmth in the presentation.

I will have a longer listen and see if I can give a better description.
    I was told by a reputable music and audio shop that one should start with a VTF 0.25g below the maximum recommended value, and then experiment with with smaller values (in say 0.25g steps).
    Contrary to expectation, more wear will occur to both record and stylus if the cartridge undertracks.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread