+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I assume you meant the SRA, and not the VTA?

Otherwise I largely agree with your approach.
    Ah yes SRA.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Just seen a new advert for an all Electric Lexus and part of the commercial had a turntable in the background. I thought how ironic, something from the ancient past of technology but still very valid and present and an all electric vehicle - the future.... well maybe. The car industry would like us to think so so they can make loads more money getting us to replace all our vehicles with electric, a bit like the audio industry tried to do with CD and look where that ended!??

It is really a money making exercise by the car industry and the environmental aspects are questionable. They want us to scrap all our old cars which took a lot of earths resources to manufacture and replace them with vehicles which have probably taken much more of the earths resources, especially in battery production! Oh yes but electricity is cleaner don't think about the production and mining industry needed to manufacture them. The last time I looked it would take many years running an electric vehicle to break even with running a petrol car before the environment benefits start to come to fruition.

But....the batteries don't last forever and some need to be replaced after 10 years so just when you thought I will wait until second hand prices bring an electric vehicle down to an affordable price you will need to replace the batteries at £10,000 a pop and more precious earth resources!

How many CD players are now languishing replaced by new turntables, a technology that should never have been replaced in my book. Maybe we should have just kept our old decks and skipped CD. I wish I had.

Sorry for the environmental rant but I sometimes need to try and rationalise what is happening in the super capitalist throw away society we have become?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Martin.

I'm the opposite wish I'd skipped vinyl and gone straight to cd.

In retrospect though, not at the time. And I wouldn't have all those now really valuable records I suppose.

Electric cars don't make much sense right now on any levels except pollution and noise. No wonder take up rate is declining. I think they will improve a lot in next 10 years though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Would have been an interesting concept there if CD had been invented first and then vinyl came after. Hard to get your head round but a curious thought of what if...?

That maybe how it appears to some young folk?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Would have been an interesting concept there if CD had been invented first and then vinyl came after. Hard to get your head round but a curious thought of what if...?

That maybe how it appears to some young folk?
    Thing is CD sales drop off a cliff after about 2005 https://www.statista.com/chart/17244...sic%20industry.

So for anyone under about thirty, CD is just as old fashioned as vinyl - but without the big artwork.

But on that graph you can just see CD sales starting to climb again.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Not looking good for 8-Track .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Cassettes tapes are on the up.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You just can't beat the smell of vinyl!
    Barry

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You just can't beat the smell of vinyl!
    Yup sniffi it all the time
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Especially old vinyl!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast