+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there such a thing as an in-line amplifier protection circuit?

I'm Alfie.

Default Is there such a thing as an in-line amplifier protection circuit?

I have a Sugden A21a Signature and a Croft RIAA Phono Stage.

Both Glenn and Sugden have said that if the Sugden is turned on first, I risk damage to the amp (and possibly my speakers) when I turn the Croft on.

I understand the concept of source first at power on and amp first at power off, but I have a wife and kids and we all enjoy the music... I don't really want to stop my family from listening to music on my system, and even if I did, I won't always be around to police it.

Before his passing, Glenn was kindly going to install a protection relay circuit in the Croft, but sadly that's no longer possible. He was going to do this free of charge, which is the kind of man he was.

With that not being possible, is anyone aware of an in-line device I could put between the Croft and the Sugden to protect the Sugden? Or perhaps if that's not possible, if there are any other folks who could put a protection circuit in the Croft RIAA for me?

Does anyone else live with this issue and found a way to relax about it?

Cheers

I'm Steve.

Wow, I did not know this was a thing - when I switch on, I do it in vertical order, starting at the top (T/T power supply, CD player, amp, phono stage). Never gave it a thought. Till now.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

the rule of thumb is to switch on in the direction of travel of signal, and then the reverse for off..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

@Alfie. I have fitted muting boards to phono stages that I have built in the past, I have a couple spare.

I could fit one to your Croft if you wish.

@Steve. A lot of modern SS amps have a start up delay before the speakers are connected, so generally there are no problems.
    Usually it is only with valve phono or preamps that perturbations can happen on the output before fully warmed up.

(Note the big word for a Saturday).
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    the rule of thumb is to switch on in the direction of travel of signal, and then the reverse for off..
    Well I've learned something there, and that is what I will do from now on. How about you Alfie, think your kiddies will remember that?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Alfie.

@steve - Still carries too much risk for me I think

@firebottle - That would be great, thank you. Please can you send me a PM with a quote? The ideal would be for the LED to be red when the muting circuit is on and turn green when it’s ready for use. This is how it is in the 25 preamps.

Cheers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    the rule of thumb is to switch on in the direction of travel of signal, and then the reverse for off.
    My preamps (including the RIAA) are powered up all the time, but when switching sources (tuner, CDP, turntable etc.) I always turn the volume down to zero before switching them on or off.

Otherwise what you say is perfectly correct.
    Barry

I'm Ian.

I use a kramer switch to swap front channels between my av processor and valve pre amp. No cross channel pollution. I can listen to av then power up the pre amp and when stabilised swap to music by switching the input. No noises at all. Guess the same would work on pre amp inputs

+ Reply to Thread