+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Node paired with vintage amp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Andrew.

Default Node paired with vintage amp

Happy new year gents .

I wish to use my Node streaming thing with my Yamaha CA-2010 which of course doesn’t have remote controls so I intend to use the volume control from the node to increase or decrease the volume ( without keep getting up to do it manually)
    My question is : should I have the volume higher on the amp and so lower on the node or the other way around?

Cheers
    Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Depends if it's digital or analogue volume. If digital I'd get the volume as high as possible on the DAC but if it's analogue it probably depends on the relative quality of the pre amp stages.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Rohan.

Hi Andy,
    Your CA-2010 has a power amp input marked MAIN IN.

If you go directly into there from the Node out this will give you the best quality. Note that you wil have to switch the COUPLER switch to the off position for this to work.

Lining up 2 stages of preamplification usually doesn't do signal integrity much good.

You'll need to be careful to set the Node output level very low to begin with just to be on the safe side, and experiment with levels from there.

Hope that helps.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Hi Andy,
    Your CA-2010 has a power amp input marked MAIN IN.

If you go directly into there from the Node out this will give you the best quality. Note that you wil have to switch the COUPLER switch to the off position for this to work.

Lining up 2 stages of preamplification usually doesn't do signal integrity much good.

You'll need to be careful to set the Node output level very low to begin with just to be on the safe side, and experiment with levels from there.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers mate, as it happens I’m continuing to use the K3 as the Yamaha simply can’t compete with it , that may change after a recap .

I'm Rohan.

Will be interesting to see if it is- old kit can still be the business as you well know!

What is it that the Roksan does better than the Yamaha?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Will be interesting to see if it is- old kit can still be the business as you well know!

What is it that the Roksan does better than the Yamaha?
    The k3 drives the B&O’s with ease whereas the yammie struggles at similar volume levels , I can’t find any efficiency ratings for the speakers so I’m guessing that they’re not that efficient. The bass is no where near as deep and the soundstage is lacking too .

I'm Lawrence.

It could also be a function of current supply and power reservoir (transformer and power supply capacitance). Recapping might improve that.

I'm Martin.

Not going to be any difference between 120 and 140 watts in terms of loudness. Could be that the B&O are a tough load. That would surprise me though.

Do you have any other amplifiers you can try just out of interest? Otherwise we await the recap
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not going to be any difference between 120 and 140 watts in terms of loudness. Could be that the B&O are a tough load. That would surprise me though.

Do you have any other amplifiers you can try just out of interest? Otherwise we await the recap
    Well I’m definitely going to recap so I’ll know after that mate , got another amp coming soon ( another 70’s one )

I'm Steve.

Or you could sell both and get one of these Keep it in the family

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255698175...Bk9SR_aIxb2xYQ
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast