Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking again at vibration isolation - Audiolab 6000CDT

I'm Gary.

Default Looking again at vibration isolation - Audiolab 6000CDT

Like most of us,
    I enjoy hifi related stuff on YouTube.

Big fan of a guy called Hans Beekhuyzen and his channel,
    https://www.youtube.com/@TheHansBeekhuyzenChannel

Currently I have my Audiolab 6000CDT transport plonked down on the glass shelf of my rack "as is".
    Not ideal, and was always going to get around to looking at sorting that out.

This video caught my eye?

Later on Im cracking open the case of the Audiolab to see where it can be modded (case damping, RFI treatment etc) for now though Im looking at better isolating it to improve the sound.
    So wanted to try what Hans had done in this video.

1)
    Bought a set of the Moongel vibration dampers, basically 6 self adhesive gel pads (used by Drummers for damping ringing in drum heads)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RTOM-AMGC-M...2481313&sr=8-4

2)
    And the old classic, well trodden Ikea Apptitlig bamboo chopping board.
    Will Spraypaint it black to match the rest of my gear.

Gel Pads being delivered today, set it up later and sit down tonight to have a listen.

Going from no isolation to this, so expecting a difference at least.
    see how it goes, cheap enough to try it out.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 31-12-2022 at 10:38.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Andrew.

Have you tried Townhsend products? The Siesmic platform has worked really well on my TT's. I have also gone down the route of minimising the coupled surface area between two surfaces to great effect. I have my 30Kg valve amp sitting on a Apptitlig bamboo chopping board, but I also have 10mm worth of sorbothane in a triangular configuration sitting under the valve amp to keep contact area minimal. One of the 10mm sorbothane "feet" sits directly under the main transformer of the valve amp. The Apptitlig bamboo chopping board then sits on a further 19mm bamboo shelf on my rack. The diameter of the sorbothane feet is quite large due to the size of the amp but this can be minimised.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ian.

Andy, i see you posted this at 10:41 today. I am trying to contact you regarding my 301. I have emailed, texted and tried calling the 2 numbers I have for you. Please contact me. Ian

I'm Gary.

So...
    few hours on a Saturday well spent.

Ikea board with Gel pads sitting directly on glass shelf, Transport sitting on RDC cone cups, two small granite boards on top to damp case.
    Good match visually for the Audiolab, I like it.

Sound improvements across the board, particularly in the bass and soundstage depth and focus.
    Its a noticeably bigger sound now, and its better at pinpointing details in the mix.
    Improvements pretty much as described in the video actually.

A tweak well worth doing if you haven't looked at how you sit your CD player, doesn't cost much and the sound improvement is not subtle.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 01-01-2023 at 12:56.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Sound improvements across the board, particularly in the bass and soundstage depth and focus.
    Its a noticeably bigger sound now, and its better at pinpointing details in the mix.
    Improvements pretty much as described in the video actually.

A tweak well worth doing if you haven't looked at how you sit your CD player, doesn't cost much and the sound improvement is not subtle.
    I have carried out very similar mods. My Audiolab CDT now stands on SD Acoustic feet on a Base isolation platform. Isolation tends to be hard (metal points etc) or soft (sorbothane etc). I have found over the years that soft suits me better.

P1100267.jpg
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Gary.

Looks great Man,

Big fan of the Iso Acoustics pucks, have them under my PS Audio bits n bobs.
    Work great.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Have you tried Townhsend products? The Siesmic platform has worked really well on my TT's. I have also gone down the route of minimising the coupled surface area between two surfaces to great effect. I have my 30Kg valve amp sitting on a Apptitlig bamboo chopping board, but I also have 10mm worth of sorbothane in a triangular configuration sitting under the valve amp to keep contact area minimal. One of the 10mm sorbothane "feet" sits directly under the main transformer of the valve amp. The Apptitlig bamboo chopping board then sits on a further 19mm bamboo shelf on my rack. The diameter of the sorbothane feet is quite large due to the size of the amp but this can be minimised.
    Haven't tried Max's isolation stuff Andy, know it has a rock solid reputation. (no pun intended)
    Bit spendy for my specific situation, tho nearly ended up with a Rock 7 instead of my Rega.
    (something about those white platters...)

This was a cheap punt, just to see what happened and it worked out great.
    Valve amps are an alchemy all to them selves I found...Great though having tried them.
    still have 12AU7 valves in my Preamp input stage and from experience I'd posit maybe that's where valves work to their best?
    Did very similar to what you did with my valve poweramp, Elrog 300B's and all...
    sorbothane worked great, but any mechanical "decoupling" (spikes 'n stuff) made it sound a bit wrong.

Or was it the valves going off, best ask my audiophilianervosa
    Happily (mostly) solid state nowadays.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 03-01-2023 at 23:27.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Chris,

Had that same BASE audio platform under my Gyro SE back in the Day,
    very underrated and quite hard to get nowadays.

Don't ever sell it!

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I have carried out very similar mods. My Audiolab CDT now stands on SD Acoustic feet on a Base isolation platform. Isolation tends to be hard (metal points etc) or soft (sorbothane etc). I have found over the years that soft suits me better.

P1100267.jpg
    Last edited by Gazjam; 03-01-2023 at 23:25.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Chris,

Had that same BASE audio platform under my Gyro SE back in the Day,
    very underrated and quite hard to get nowadays.

Don't ever sell it!
    And I’ve got two 👍👍
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Lloyd.

Really interesting thread thanks for posting
    A widower finding solace in music

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast