I had a lot of hifi and vinyl in storage for nearly 20 years whilst working overseas. All items emerged in pristine condition. Some recommendations:

1. Use silica gel bags. Not the tiny ones you get with things like cameras. The ones I used varied in size from a Swan Vesta matchbox to a the size of a packet of 20 cigarettes. Make sure they are dry before use by putting them on top of a radiator or in an airing cupboard. Critical for vinyl storage.

2. Use Really Useful Box Company crates. Their 35l XL crate is perfect for vinyl ad can hold about 100 albums IIRC. They have many other sizes which protect the contents from water damage and dust intrusion. They are near indestructible and the ones I bought in the mid 90s are still in excellent condition.

3. If storing in original cardboard packing insert a big silica gel bag and seal with black stretchy pallet wrap. Even in climate controlled storage the cardboard can become damp and turn mouldy. I keep all original packaging for expensive electricals in my garage using this method.