+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS Audio DS-E1 Optical Cartridge experience

I'm Ales.

Default DS Audio DS-E1 Optical Cartridge experience

Hello,

I'm enjoing my new turntable Technics 1200G, which I've bought second hand few months ago.
    I'm enjoing new toy very much, for simplicity of operation, simplicity of adjusting cartridges and very good sound from it.
    I expected big precise sound of CD machine, but it is analogue in best sense of it.

Currently I'm using it with old Grado Statement 2 MI cartridge with high output.
    Few day I have read very good recension from Mr. Kessler on optical cartridge, DS Audio DS-E1 Cartridge.

Link: https://www.hifinews.com/content/ds-...s-e1-cartridge

Can anybody confirm such review or have personal experiences with optical cartridges from DS audio?
    Thanks for opinions.
    Happy holidays and a lot of audio enjoyment.
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I heard one at a Hi-Fi show some time ago.

Unfortunately the associated amplification and speakers used were new to me, which with the less than favourable acoustics of the hotel room, meant it was very difficult to assess the performance of the cartridge. All in all, I wasn't that impressed.
    Barry

I'm paul.

So rather than a rusty nail scratching the vinyl groove it’s optical reading the groove ?
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No still uses a stylus
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm TAD.

Have a look at this vid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1A-98G695U. Steve Guttenberg, Audiophiliac. Excellent commentary website with no BS!!!!

I'm Ales.

Thanks TAD for Guttenbergs review.
    He is really enthusiastic about basic model E1 of optical cartridge, which still uses elliptic stylus to exctract information, but readout is done optically.
    Also comes with dedicated energizer, phono equalizer.
    No magnetic fields and any magnetic interaction of any kind, no coils, no magnets. I'm now even more interested.
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm TAD.

Hiya Ales.
    Yep, looks a winner, but a bit too rich for my pocket. I'll stick with my Michell Odyssey, suitably modded with rubber suspension and feet. See elsewhere on this site for a full description. If you buy the DSE1 , please leave a review. ?? I wonder if the styli are expensive to replace.
    Kind regards, T.

I'm Ales.

Hello, has anybody audio listening experience with optical cartridges from DS Audio?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    Hello, has anybody audio listening experience with optical cartridges from DS Audio?
    A very good friend of mine who has a very nice system has listened to several demos of DS Audio carts, and was pretty impressed, he was considering getting a DS3 with its specific pre-amp.

However he changed his speakers first to some used Avalons (not cheap at £18K but the equivalent new ones are over £40K) and said that the issue was not his TT/Cart/Phono set(SME TT/Arm/Benz LP-S /Allnic H1500II phono) up but the speakers were masking the details. I have not heard his system since the change so cannot pass on my personal view on SQ, but I respect his opinion so what he says his likely to be correct. He now says there is no way he will be changing the cartridge.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dave.

I've heard a couple of models and they sound like a cartridge on vinyl. Good but not that different.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast