+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad 303 and C6 pre amp courtesy of Amplabs

I'm Stuart.

Default Quad 303 and C6 pre amp courtesy of Amplabs

For those Quad lovers out there, I've now joined to club.
    My 'new' upgraded 303 and pre-amp have arrived (in fact I collected them).
    Both courtesy of Rob (Amplabs) who I met earlier today.
    I can't see any point in taking a photo of the 303 but what most won't know is that Rob has built his own pre amp (called the C6) and there are only 9 in existence.
    I now have one and there must be eight others out there somewhere.
    I strongly suspect that this pre-amp is "too good" for me (and my kit) but I nevertheless wanted to own one.
    Photos attached.
    Not its final location, though.
    Although it's been soak tested for 5 days, I couldn't resist the temptation to power on the pre-amp to see what colour the front LED was. Joy, it's red and matches the Rega!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Geoff.

Very nice looking bit of kit. Decidedly Japanese looking in appearance, which is no bad thing!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

I like that!

I'm Stuart.

John and Geoff -Thank you both.
    Not even connected it up yet, so not sure what to expect.
    Whatever happens though, this is my last hifi purchase for quite some time.
    I am in "getting rid of" mode for the next few months.
    I understand that the 'gold knobs' are from a Fender Stratocaster!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    I strongly suspect that this pre-amp is "too good" for me (and my kit) but I nevertheless wanted to own one.
    I take umbrage at that sentiment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting whatever best equipment you can, all improvements, however minor, will add up to greater enjoyment of the music.

On the other front I do know what a 303 looks like as I owned one, however it was more years ago than I care to remember. An advanced amplifier for its time with a fully regulated supply.

Let us know how it all sounds when you are setup.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Lawrence.

From experience I've found a pre amp can take more away than any other component in the chain so there's nothing wrong with having one that you might think is too good. Plus it can the basis of upgrading the rest of the system if and when you decide to.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

Let us know how it all sounds when you are setup.
    Will be delighted to do so.
    Thanks

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    From experience I've found a pre amp can take more away than any other component in the chain so there's nothing wrong with having one that you might think is too good. Plus it can the basis of upgrading the rest of the system if and when you decide to.
    Thanks for this. Just feeling a little bit apprehensive. I’m sure it’ll pass in time once I start listening to music again and stop spending all this time looking for that next bit of kit.
    I am now genuinely in the position of not wanting to change anything for the time being.

I'm Peter.

Stuart,

Now that you’ve had some time to live with it, I was wondering what your impressions were, please?

Peter
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm Stuart.

Hi Peter
    Would it be OK if I dropped you a PM with an update?
    Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast