+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy Canterbury GR, yes or no?

I'm Alberto.

Cool Tannoy Canterbury GR, yes or no?

Hi there,

sometimes I dream with Tannoy Canterbury Nowadays I have Tannoy Edinburgh TW (1997) with Mcintosh Mc275 and I'd like to try something bigger of tannoy. I have a room of 65m2 with 4m ceilings. I'm looking for more clarity, definition, bigger soundstage and punch but I like the tonality and naturaliness of tannoy for this reason thinking about a bigger in the same brand.

I've found a very good offer in a Poland Shop something like half price retail. Canterbury GR are much better than Edinburgh? Is it worth it? I know there's a lot of controversy with the last models or new ones. So any opinions?

Many thanks

I'm Ked.

After hearing Canterbury, Kensington, and Westminster all in private, non show set ups, I preferred best the Tannoy HPD 315a that montesquieu owns and another 15 inch Tannoy Golds that a guy named Paul in Scotland owns. They are both cheaper than Canterburys. Apparenty the older drivers were better

I'm Lawrence.

I'm not a Tannoy expert but I understand the pepperpot waveguide is better than the tulip which might explain some of the difference between the older models and some of the reissues. I think you have to go quite high up the range to get it now. I'm not 100% sure the HPDs had them mind you, others will know.

I'm Geoff.

HPD is a pepperpot compression horn speaker.

I've owned a number of each type, all are good, but to my ears the pepperpot is preferable. It just seems to have a fraction more immediacy and transparency, although the tulip waveguide types seem more forgiving sonically.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alberto.

Thanks for your replies.

Canterbury GR is pepperpot. I don't know what it does mean exactly but I've checked and it is.

So, my doubt is Canterbury gr for something like half price is it good option and worth it? As I said before I have tannoy Edinburgh TW and I like it but I'd like to get something better and bigger in that kind of sound...

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread