+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Fooked potentiometer

I'm Mike.

Put the suggie back in, played the same Motown LP, some improvement, quite listenable. Played some Donald Byrd - Stepping into tomorrow, and a beautiful sound, a tad bass heavy, but very enjoyable. Will try this combo again for a bit, but it will likely grate with high pitched horns!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

reminds me I got to buy some more Donald Byrd albums.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    reminds me I got to buy some more Donald Byrd albums.
    Get this one, it's ****ing awesome. 'Stepping into tomorrow'.

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/stepping-in...xoCG_MQAvD_BwE
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Swapped the Lintons out for the Proacs this morning, as I've loads of free time due to having virtually no work!! Anyway, in comparison the 140s sounded thin, not unpleasant, obviously I lived with and enjoyed this speaker for about a year, but the Lintons offer a broader sound if you like. So I'll be selling the Proacs now, as clearly these older style of speakers are better suited to my tastes/hearing. Even though the bass can be a bit bloomy/ill defined. But I think the Linton/Suggie combo is gonna stay. I think for the size of listening rooms I tend to live in, that a smaller closed speaker might ultimately suit, unless i manage to move to a larger place. I'm wondering what a pair of old Tannoy Eatons would sound like?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I'm wondering what a pair of old Tannoy Eatons would sound like?
    You'd probably be shocked initially. Immediate impressions would be of colourations and a considerable amount of punch for their size, it's only once you 'tune in' to what's happening that it starts coming together. The HPD 295A Eaton is a favourite of mine, the imaging is great and the mid transparency lets you hear deep into the mix. The bigger Devon is poor in comparison in my view.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Thinking of getting my old Sugden a21a up and running, anyone know a place that repairs them apart from Sugden themselves? It has a sticky volume potentiometer, a knackered on/off switch, and phono only operating on one channel.

I'm Mike.

Had to move the Lintons out 3.5 ft (from middle of top) into the room as the bass was booming summit rotten, quite a bit better now, and a pleasant listen. But still a slight boom on some music, can one do anything else apart from pull speakers out from wall? My room is a bit limited in terms of positioning.

I'm Lawrence.

Stuff the ports, I think they have them?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Stuff the ports, I think they have them?
    Oh shit, I forgot about that rather obvious step!! What with, socks?

I'm Martin.

drinking straws recommended often although I've never tried it.

get an equalizer it will give you complete control.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast