+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fooked potentiometer

I'm Grant.

maybe its the musical style thats tiring you instead of the equipment. i know nowadays as much of a rock head i was when younger, it(rock) does tire me quite quickly now. other musical styles will no doubt do the same i guess
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by zanash View Post
    Ive read this thread with a little interest [oops that could be read as no interest !]. Ok, so my feeling is having heard a number of sugden amps over the years is that they sound full and rich but will allow the tonality of the source equipment to shine through. I'm not a fan of the 1200 and was not blown away by the meridian, both edging towards bright and forward. So I'm asking the question could it be your sources that are the issue soundwise rather than the amp thats just playing the signal it being passed? Two of the very best sounding systems Ive heard in homes have both used the sugden a21, one with big monitor audios model escapes me and the other with quad esl 63. So in good fettle an a21 should be a clear "window" for the source.
    I think it's complete bollocks that so and so turntable sounds a certain way, it's entirely dependent on what cartridge is on it. The G08 may be bright, I don't know, wouldn't mind trying one of the older Meridians, only you know, reliability is an issue with the older players.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    maybe its the musical style thats tiring you instead of the equipment. i know nowadays as much of a rock head i was when younger, it(rock) does tire me quite quickly now. other musical styles will no doubt do the same i guess
    That confines me to solo gutair!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I think it's complete bollocks that so and so turntable sounds a certain way, it's entirely dependent on what cartridge is on it. The G08 may be bright, I don't know, wouldn't mind trying one of the older Meridians, only you know, reliability is an issue with the older players.
    You're view is correct in some aspects Mike, the cartridge and the Phono stage used to the amplifier(s) has a very big impact on the end result, however as I have found out through various TTs they can and do have a part to play in the output in terms of sound, bass is the most obvious, a light weight platter will result less bass depth and control whereas a higher-mass one will be better, also more blackness I have found, depth to dynamic range. TTs with arms that are not adjustable can be an issue, VTA can be compromise, too high and it will sound bright and too low and it will become boomy.

As for your Meridian G08 it is known to be smooth and controlled not emphasising any aspect of the music, basically a very good CDP, so this is very unlikely to be causing your issues.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post

As for your Meridian G08 it is known to be smooth and controlled not emphasising any aspect of the music, basically a very good CDP, so this is very unlikely to be causing your issues.
    I would say the chance is as close to zero as you can get.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Thinking slightly smaller speakers might help. My listening/living room isn't that big at all.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thinking slightly smaller speakers might help. My listening/living room isn't that big at all.
    I think you just need some speakers which are a lot better than the ones you've been buying. You're drinking beer but your taste is for champagne.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

To be fair those Audio Notes were supposed to be good (you tried a pair didn't you?). And I've got good results from relatively budget speakers before with good (but not high end) equipment.

There's definitely something going on but I do wonder if it's your hearing/taste and mid/treble sensitivity.

I'm Adrian.

What are the room dimensions Mike, I know of some speakers currently for sale(not mine) that might work well and as Martin says and I confer the speakers are one of the most important bits.

The Sugden a21 amp is a very good amp and is known for its smooth sound and no review highlight top end harshness, I know the Audio Innovations S500 very well having had two of them and at the price point are a favourite of mine and one I would consider returning to a review I came across "Transparent, musical and very untiring to listen to. Very critical of source components but will sound louder than 25W" I would second.

I do not know the Proacs you have but note this review comment "The Studio 140 does an excellent job illuminating high percussion information. The microdynamics and transient speed elicited from the many delicate ticks and pings of the percussionist during Holly Cole’s “Train” on Temptation [Alert] flirted with some of best reproduction I’ve experienced with this disc. But on Sinatra’s Only the Lonely [Capitol], “Angel Eyes” had a bit of edge where the Studio 140 adds some extra mid-treble sparkle." see https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...0-loudspeaker/ Its likely reviewer speak for saying they can be bright without actually saying so.

So my thought are in line with Martin, its likely the speakers are the issue, especially if you are top end sensitive.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    To be fair those Audio Notes were supposed to be good (you tried a pair didn't you?)
    Audio Note speakers always astonish me with their odd sound. They measure poorly with FR all over the shop. Yes, some swear by them, but there is no doubt that their presentation of some musical programme will be - and I'm being charitable here - unpredictable.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast