+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Fooked potentiometer

I'm Lawrence.

They're just fancy 2 way Snells aren't they, were they as bad?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    What are the room dimensions Mike, I know of some speakers currently for sale(not mine) that might work well and as Martin says and I confer the speakers are one of the most important bits.

The Sugden a21 amp is a very good amp and is known for its smooth sound and no review highlight top end harshness, I know the Audio Innovations S500 very well having had two of them and at the price point are a favourite of mine and one I would consider returning to a review I came across "Transparent, musical and very untiring to listen to. Very critical of source components but will sound louder than 25W" I would second.

I do not know the Proacs you have but note this review comment "The Studio 140 does an excellent job illuminating high percussion information. The microdynamics and transient speed elicited from the many delicate ticks and pings of the percussionist during Holly Cole’s “Train” on Temptation [Alert] flirted with some of best reproduction I’ve experienced with this disc. But on Sinatra’s Only the Lonely [Capitol], “Angel Eyes” had a bit of edge where the Studio 140 adds some extra mid-treble sparkle." see https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...0-loudspeaker/ Its likely reviewer speak for saying they can be bright without actually saying so.

So my thought are in line with Martin, its likely the speakers are the issue, especially if you are top end sensitive.
    Hi Adrian.
    My current listening room in 4.2M long (wall to window bay), and 3.7M wide (sofa hence listening position to wall which hifi and speakers are sited).

Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think you just need some speakers which are a lot better than the ones you've been buying. You're drinking beer but your taste is for champagne.
    Emmm, well, the Suggie with these 140s is starting to grow on me, the bass on the 140s could be ill defined with the S500 or older a21 I had, but its much better defined with this A21 sig, quite a joy actually. The brightness persists though with wind/string instruments at high treble, so new speakers are on the horizon. What to look for, considering my room size (not very big), I sit only less than 3 metres away from the speakers!
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 23-01-2023 at 11:47.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Lawrence.

I sit about the same distance as you from mine and they're about 4' tall with 2x8" midrange and a 12" woofer so I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Emmm, well, the Suggie with these 140s is starting to grow on me, the bass on the 140s could be ill defined with the S500 or older a21 I had, but its much better defined with this A21 sig, quite a joy actually. The brightness persists though with wind/string instruments at high treble, so new speakers are on the horizon. What to look for, considering my room size (not very big), I sit only less than metres away from the speakers!
    I think last time you were looking I suggested the Wharfedale Linton Heritage.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Hi Adrian.
    My current listening room in 4.2M long (wall to window bay), and 3.7M wide (sofa hence listening position to wall which hifi and speakers are sited).

Your walls look a bit bear, if they are all like that then it is likely that you will be getting higher frequency reflections and enhancement, to calm things down a bit get some cheap wall hanging art from TK Max and put up, or a thin rug especially behind where you sit. You can buy acoustic foam like this https://advancedacoustics-uk.com/pro...panel-600x1200 to put into the art frames behind the canvas which helps even more, I did this and it helped. You could initially try and experiment with an old blanket or one of those sofa throws https://www.amazon.co.uk/EHEYCIGA-Bl...zcF9hdGY&psc=1, hung up to see how it helps.

Don't underestimate how a room can effect the sound or the speaker position. A lively undamped room with speakers that enhance the top end may make it sound a bit harsh or aggressive, apart from getting odd acoustics going on from reflected sound off the walls. You might find with a little room treatment the speakers are fine.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Blanket over the telly when listening. That's a big reflective panel where ideally you want some sort of diffuser.

Coffee table won't help but for practical purposes it has to be there I suppose. Put more clutter on it!

Absorption on the wall behind your settee will help a lot. A large plant or something to the right of the right-hand speaker to reduce early reflections from that wall. A rug on top of the carpet directly in front of the speakers to reduce HF floor bounce.

Loads you can do without spending any serious money and it will all give benefits.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think last time you were looking I suggested the Wharfedale Linton Heritage.
    Yeh, the reviews sound promising. Might try a pair.

I'm Mike.

Yeh, I keep meaning to buy something to put on the walls, just for decorative purposes!

I'm Adrian.

Yeh, I keep meaning to buy something to put on the walls, just for decorative purposes!
    These also are reasonably priced, there are different sizes and a selection of prints/designs. https://www.amazon.co.uk/murando-abs...&sr=8-111&th=1Based on my tests at home you would get a more balance sound, well worth trying out before you splash out on other speakers, unless you just want to try out some other speakers.

By the way if you go down the GIK acoustics type of panels then you can multiply the cost by 3-4 times.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast