+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fooked potentiometer

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Oh dear you're not having much luck with it.
    Beginning to think these amps aren't that reliable, I had another off ebay, it was knackered too. This one apparently had a recent service as well, but I don't think they really do much on a regular service, time to start buying younger amps methinks.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

what is an amplifier 'service' though? With a vehicle what happens in a service tends to be fairly precisely defined but for an amplifier? Either components are faulty and need replacing, in which case it is a repair not a service, or they are not and it's fine.

So what happens in these services? Take the lid off, blow out the dust with compressed air, put lid back on. That'll be eighty quid please.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

A proper (dealer) service should check the amp is within spec, bias hasn't drifted and adjust if necessary etc. and provide a list of checks completed.

I'm Mike.

Got a much newer a21 Suggie off Pinkfiish, its the later signature model, only 18 months old, nice to have a remote again, though it does't have a mute button and appears to be designed backwards, with the bottom being silmmer than the top, should be the other way around so it sits in the palm of one's hand. Anyway, its was £1400, so not bad, playing it now, sounds ok, goes louder than my Valve amp, which is good.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

This amp is tasty, but the brightness is even worse!!!

I'm Lawrence.

Have you ever got your system to not sound bright?

I'm Mike.

Have you ever got your system to not sound bright?
    I remember back in 1999 I had a pair of B&W 602s, which I returned to the shop cos I thought the tweeter was knackered!! He said it was and replaced it (free of charge under warrranty), but I reckon he just conned me!!

I'm Lawrence.

Strange as I would have thought with a broken tweeter it would sound just right to your ears

I'm Mike.

Strange as I would have thought with a broken tweeter it would sound just right to your ears
    That's the thing, it obviously wasn't broken, it's just my hearing, the guy got a commission to fix these things!

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    That's the thing, it obviously wasn't broken, it's just my hearing, the guy got a commission to fix these things!
    Ive read this thread with a little interest [oops that could be read as no interest !]. Ok, so my feeling is having heard a number of sugden amps over the years is that they sound full and rich but will allow the tonality of the source equipment to shine through. I'm not a fan of the 1200 and was not blown away by the meridian, both edging towards bright and forward. So I'm asking the question could it be your sources that are the issue soundwise rather than the amp thats just playing the signal it being passed? Two of the very best sounding systems Ive heard in homes have both used the sugden a21, one with big monitor audios model escapes me and the other with quad esl 63. So in good fettle an a21 should be a clear "window" for the source.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast