+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else detest strictly ?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The chinatown is supposedly the oldest in Europe.

My point about the documentary was that the presenter boldly claimed that the entire city was founded on the revenue from slavery. Either he was completely unaware that for over 100 years ninety percent of all global trade passed through Liverpool and that the revenue from the slave trade was only a small percentage of that, or he was lying to further his woke agenda. Either way it's inexcusable.
    And this woke business is so insidious that if the producer were to say "Look, this is a documentary, and we should stick to the facts, leaving nothing out. And present them in a non-partisan way" he'd be dragged over the coals by every woke man and his woke dog who would be fearing their non-intervention might be seen as complicity. It's all turning to shit and I'm sick of it.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    And this woke business is so insidious that if the producer were to say "Look, this is a documentary, and we should stick to the facts, leaving nothing out. And present them in a non-partisan way" he'd be dragged over the coals by every woke man and his woke dog who would be fearing their non-intervention might be seen as complicity. It's all turning to shit and I'm sick of it.
    im a believer that if something was wrong when it was done then it was wrong and needs appologising for etc. ie russia today; germany in ww2..

if however it was the practice at that time and not seen as terrible, then as much as we see it wrong now you cant dial back into time and use todays morality on people then. ie early slavery.. later slavery was wrong as it had become wrong by vast majority.

but woke people dont want that, they want to purify the world, just like the animal rebellion idiots who think because they dont eat animals then no-one should. (they would of course be condemning billions of animals to death and not getting a life at all but that doesnt bother those types, its them being in the news and getting their way that they want). lets face it would anyone keep cows, pigs, chickens etc.. nope. i may not eat much meat as i proved by having a baked tattie for lunch, but when i want to, i wont have tossers like that or a govt telling me i cant..
    Last edited by struth; 05-12-2022 at 14:22.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    im a believer that if something was wrong when it was done then it was wrong and needs appologising for etc. ie russia today; germany in ww2..

if however it was the practice at that time and not seen as terrible, then as much as we see it wrong now you cant dial back into time and use todays morality on people then. ie early slavery.. later slavery was wrong as it had become wrong by vast majority.

but woke people dont want that, they want to purify the world, just like the animal rebellion idiots who think because they dont eat animals then no-one should. (they would of course be condemning billions of animals to death and not getting a life at all but that doesnt bother those types, its them being in the news and getting their way that they want). lets face it would anyone keep cows, pigs, chickens etc.. nope. i may not eat much meat as i proved by having a baked tattie for lunch, but when i want to, i wont have tossers like that or a govt telling me i cant..
    Totally agree with all of this.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

:
    I agree you have to evaluate history in context, but seems to me that slavery must have seemed wrong in any culture at any time. I mean holding another person as a slave? If you look at the writings of slavery apologists in the 19th century U.S.A you sort of get the feeling that they are tying themselves in knots to justify it on an intellectual level when they know emotionally that it's fundamentally wrong. But by employing slavery for so long they'd backed themselves into a corner economically and socially, change seemed impossible to them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Had to google the meaning of a Woke person. Every days a school day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

well slavery has been ongoing for thousands of years, and apparently in this country before the romans even. but in the 15th/17th c i9t was not legal to hold a slave or transport him against his will in england or scotland, so yes there were rumblings, but until it became that the majority of folk felt this way it was generally not thought bad by most, especially in a no see, no worry situation.

For nearly two hundred years in the history of coal mining in Scotland, miners were bonded to their "maisters" by a 1606 Act "Anent Coalyers and Salters". The Colliers and Salters (Scotland) Act 1775 stated that "many colliers and salters are in a state of slavery and bondage" and announced emancipation; those starting work after 1 July 1775 would not become slaves, while those already in a state of slavery could, after 7 or 10 years depending on their age, apply for a decree of the Sheriff's Court granting their freedom. Few could afford this, until a further law in 1799 established their freedom and made this slavery and bondage illegal. so it wasn't all about colour of skin.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

...... just like the animal rebellion idiots who think because they dont eat animals then no-one should. (they would of course be condemning billions of animals to death and not getting a life at all ) ....
    Can't say I follow the logic of that.

Apropos slavery - the British didn't just go to Africa and enslave the costal peoples themselves. The slaves had already been enslaved through battles amongs African tribes, and taken as booty. The British bought them from the conquering tribes through exchange of goods.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

been a good few years since i saw a 'modern' tv ad; but im guessing they wont have improved. best way to view ads is several years later and see if any 'tickle' you
    Nothing good those days like the on Hamlet cigars advert or the Shake and Vac one. What was that ology one was that BT? To think they used to have to advertise to get you to use your phone.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Nothing good those days like the on Hamlet cigars advert or the Shake and Vac one. What was that ology one was that BT? To think they used to have to advertise to get you to use your phone.
    you got an ology and you say you failed?? your a scientist... maureen lipton and bt.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

That's the one. I guess you were charged by the minute then so they wanted you to use your phone as much as possible.

The only later advert I could think of was Cillit Bang and that was genuinely annoying to the point that I'd refuse to buy the product, unlike Shake and Vac which was irritating but it got in your head and wouldn't put me off buying, although the supermarkets brought out their own cheaper versions later.

God I was at school then how did I know or care about shake and vac?

Just remembered the tune to This is the age... Of the train. Was that Jimmy Saville doing the voice over? Probably best forgotten that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast