+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else detest strictly ?

I'm Andrew.

I must admit to liking a show called “ Below Deck “ it’s about a bunch of people working on posh yachts, they’re all shagging one another, working 18hr days whilst being at the beckon call of wealthy knobs and earning roughly £2k each every 2 days in tips alone .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Could it be that programme content is possibly aimed at people with attention deficit issues and restricted mental development?

Shows what they think of their audience really.

Most programmes start with a synopsis of what they are going to show you. Yes that's annoying but the idea is to capture the audience from the start.

Then before the break they will show you what is coming up after the break, in the hope that you will stay tuned and not start flipping.

Then after the break they will repeat what happened previously in the hope of capturing the audience who have just tuned in at that point.

If these practices did not work they wouldn't do them. Nothing to do with the mental capabilities of the audience. In contrast look at BBC documentaries which nowadays have the presentational tone of a Blue Peter Special. Aimed at the lowest common denominator. Of course the lowest common denominator don't watch those shows anyway; but if they adopt an 'adult' tone suitable for the people who do watch them, then they get accused of being 'elitist'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Default Anyone else detest strictly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Most programmes start with a synopsis of what they are going to show you. Yes that's annoying but the idea is to capture the audience from the start.

Then before the break they will show you what is coming up after the break, in the hope that you will stay tuned and not start flipping.

Then after the break they will repeat what happened previously in the hope of capturing the audience who have just tuned in at that point.

If these practices did not work they wouldn't do them. Nothing to do with the mental capabilities of the audience. In contrast look at BBC documentaries which nowadays have the presentational tone of a Blue Peter Special. Aimed at the lowest common denominator. Of course the lowest common denominator don't watch those shows anyway; but if they adopt an 'adult' tone suitable for the people who do watch them, then they get accused of being 'elitist'.
    Spot on .
    I know a high flyer in the advertising industry, she’s been responsible for a few tv adverts which saw her climb to new heights, they were absolutely terrible adverts too! Go figure

I'm Geoff.

if they adopt an 'adult' tone suitable for the people who do watch them, then they get accused of being 'elitist'.
    Some might suggest a bit of elitism might not go amiss. When I'm out and about and see the knuckle draggers that seem to comprise the bulk of society, I get reminded of the 'Dumb and Dumber' movie and do tend to feel superior, but that's just me. I could be entirely misapprehending things!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

We have 2 dumb and dumber ladies running the planning department of our repairs team , one of the ladies asked me “ Andy what’s a bath panel ? “ unbelievable I know .

I'm Grant.

been a good few years since i saw a 'modern' tv ad; but im guessing they wont have improved. best way to view ads is several years later and see if any 'tickle' you
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Some might suggest a bit of elitism might not go amiss. :
    I like to watch history programmes but they tend to be over-simplified and in the case of the BBC, feel like they are aimed at children.

Also they seem to be almost all presented by women who are obsessed with 'women in history' to the point where it skews the whole tone of the programme.

Even worse are the terrible 'recreations' by second-rate actors. And it's all about the presenter and what they 'feel', and their idiotic speculations about how the people of the time would have 'felt'. What happened to presenting facts and analysis? You know, where we might actually learn something new and interesting?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

I like to watch history programmes but they tend to be over-simplified and in the case of the BBC, feel like they are aimed at children.

Also they seem to be almost all presented by women who are obsessed with 'women in history' to the point where it skews the whole tone of the programme.

Even worse are the terrible 'recreations' by second-rate actors. And it's all about the presenter and what they 'feel', and their idiotic speculations about how the people of the time would have 'felt'. What happened to presenting facts and analysis? You know, where we might actually learn something new and interesting?
    Yep

I'm Grant.

its a pity they feel the need to go so low down the pecking order to get viewers; maybe an insight into the average joe to concentrate(or in this case, not concentrate) on a program if its too dry. modern people seem to need to be 'entertained' above educated. sad but true
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    its a pity they feel the need to go so low down the pecking order to get viewers; maybe an insight into the average joe to concentrate(or in this case, not concentrate) on a program if its too dry. modern people seem to need to be 'entertained' above educated. sad but true
    What does it say about those supposedly entertaining/educating us, are they dumbing things down or are they working at their own level? Bit of both I'd expect.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast