+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MiniDSP SHD

I'm Kevin.

Default MiniDSP SHD

Does anybody use one?
    Looks like an interesting device that could sort of getting your audio sounding great in your room.
    I must admit, I am half tempted to try one.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Does anybody use one?
    Looks like an interesting device that could sort of getting your audio sounding great in your room.
    I must admit, I am half tempted to try one.
    I am too, though I appreciate it would only benefit the digital side of things - turntables need not apply. Trouble is, I have no idea how all this stuff works, and how I would use it.

I have heard a few set ups employing DSP, and without exception they all had a sound I could happily live with.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Ian.

Its on my radar as something to try, just need to find a used one at a good price

I'm Twisted.

I have one and I really like it. I use it with a meridian 557, Topsy (Reiver) standmounts and a sub in my basement listening room, which has a low ceiling. (TBH the sub is overkill in my set up as the stand mounts are plenty large enough.)

The unit is well made, quite classy looking and completely dependable.

You've obviously got to be prepared to fiddle about with set up, and as you have both SHD and Dirac software to navigate you should be prepared to actually read the manual! Obviously all that comes with the territory, and once you've got your head round the software (not rocket science) you can tweak to your hearts' content. You can set up four selectable tailored profiles. I have a 'standard' sound, one with a bit more bass, one without the sub, and one with a little bit more gain in the left channel as I get intermittent mild hearing loss (just enough to appear to throw the balance out a little, which drives me nuts).

The volumio player software isn't anything to write home about, but I gather you can use spotty and now tidal connect, though I haven't bothered with either. I don't use Rune but I think you can.

Simon
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Ian.

just missed one on the wam :-)

I'm Kevin.

I won’t be buying 2nd hand from the U.K., as I have to pay VAT when it is delivered….
    Kevin

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I won’t be buying 2nd hand from the U.K., as I have to pay VAT when it is delivered….
    badly worded, sorry. I meant I just missed one.

I'm Kevin.

Ah….
    I have put my search on hold for a while. I will be interested to hear how you get on if you find one.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread