+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DAC upgrade

I'm Mark.

Hi David,

I'm not familiar with your current DAC but have heard a couple of Chord DAC's in the past such as the Hugo and wasn't disappointed with them so is a pre-owned Hugo an option ? or are they still a bit above your budget ? I have had several great DAC's in the past Meridian 203 DAC7 and the phenomenal Pink Triangle DaCapo in three box configuration of Cardinal, DaCapo and DC ( A combination where the whole was significantly greater than the sum of its parts! ). Currently I have a Wadia 321 and Lyngdorf CD1 as transport running in 192k mode ( Again a combination significantly better than the sum of its parts ) and the results are on a par with the likes of PS Audio Perfectwave, although not able to handle streaming.

So what I guess I am saying is the "not obvious route" is always worth a visit.

I'm David.

Thanks for the heads up @awkwardbydesign. I'll try to give the Benchmark a listen. Hi @Rush2112, great album btw! The Hugo2 is definitely on my radar. Hoping to hear one of those soon.
    Melco N1A, Hegel 390, PMC Twenty5 22.

I'm Richard.

If you can hear an Audiobyte Black Dragon you might prefer that. To be honest, I did, but the functionality of the DAC3 (USB input and preamp use)plus neutrality swung it for me. The Accuphase I now have reminds me of the Black Dragon, and it suits my tastes.
    ABD.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    If you can hear an Audiobyte Black Dragon you might prefer that. To be honest, I did, but the functionality of the DAC3 (USB input and preamp use)plus neutrality swung it for me. The Accuphase I now have reminds me of the Black Dragon, and it suits my tastes.
    Not heard of the Black Dragon. I'll give some research, thx.

I'm Gary.

Someone mentioned the PS Audio dac?

Theres a MkII version of the Perfectwave Dac out soon, worth watching the second hand market for those selling theirs.
    If you can stretch to 3.5Kish its worth it,

Plenty of upgrade potential above stock for not a lot of cost too.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 27-11-2022 at 10:17.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Someone mentioned the PS Audio dac?

Theres a MkII version of the Perfectwave Dac out soon, worth watching the second hand market for those selling theirs.
    If you can stretch to 3.5Kish its worth it,

Plenty of upgrade potential above stock for not a lot of cost too.
    I think my limit is going to be around the £2k.

I'm charles.

Trickle-down technology is producing some great value units and I have spent a lot of time reading up on DACs. The industry seems to be taking cognisance of the fact that addressing EMI and RFI issues, providing excellent power supplies (some including 100 year old technology such as choke input) lots of regulation and the best output stages make a difference, With the lower noise floor resulting from these measures differences can most certainly be heard. Your listed gear will not mask the upgrade.

The debate between delta-sigma and R2R will continue and is only a small part of the whole. Implementation is paramount. A lot of fuss is made over the ESS ES90xxx delta-sigma chips not necessarily because they sound good but because they are hyped up and thought to sound good by Joe Average. So we have a plethora of cheap Chi-fi DACs flooding the market sporting the latest ESS chips with the uninformed masses believing they are getting the latest and greatest.

A good DAC needs to get the tempo, tone and tune sorted for it to make music and to this end I have come to appreciate what Abbas is doing.

https://www.abbasaudio.com/

The thread below is a long but enlightening view on some of his products which equal or better other units costing many times more. This is a must read IMO, comparing Abbas units to some of the more well known expensive attempts like SW1X and Audio Note.

The SW1X DACs are a spin-off apparently from the Abbas ones. The two used to work together then parted ways. The SW1X are in a higher price bracket.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...-2-1-se.31754/

I think he has a model in your price range. Also provides DIY modules which is what I am now considering.

He is based in Ukraine and according to the thread mentioned is still alive and well.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    Not heard of the Black Dragon. I'll give some research, thx.
    https://www.hifipig.com/audiobyte-black-dragon-dac/
    ABD.

I'm David.

Thx for the heads up @sailor and @awkwardbydesign. Looks like I've got some reading to do

I'm Pete.

ive got a hugo2 sat in its box since upgraded to TT2. If you decide to go that route could make me an offer. Is currently sat there as hoping to use as part ex for a m-scaler sometime in new year but still umming n ahhing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast