+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DAC upgrade

I'm David.

Default DAC upgrade

I've been thinking about upgrading my DAC recently. It's a Chord 2Qute. I've been very happy with it but I've had it a few years and technology marches on to inflict gas. I'm looking up to £2,000 new or (ideally) go the 2nd hand route. Looking at the Hugo 2, Mytek Brooklyn, RME ADI2. Any experience or suggestions?
    Melco N1A, Hegel 390, PMC Twenty5 22.

I'm Kevin.

Try and have a listen to some and compare your DAC, as they may not be that different.

I have an RME, and was thinking of upgrading, but not being able to hear the new DAC before Purchase has put me right off.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm David.

For sure. I wouldn't buy 'blind' spending that kind of cash. Good advice.
    Melco N1A, Hegel 390, PMC Twenty5 22.

I'm Jerry.

Another consideration is a Soekris 2541

I'm Martin.

DAC technology has not changed in decades despite what you might read in the marketing bumph, I would save the money to get better speakers or do room treatment. The 2Qute has no audible issues, it does D to A perfectly which is all it needs to do.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Do you mean once they could get up to 24/192 plus DSD? USB implementations have certainly improved in the last 12 or so the first Xmos one was a game changer for me.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Do you mean once they could get up to 24/192 plus DSD? USB implementations have certainly improved in the last 12 or so the first Xmos one was a game changer for me.
    Those developments are more than 20 years old though. (except some USB variants but I wasn't counting USB as DAC technology).
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

I'm not sure 20 year old DAC chips went up to 24/192 I think most went up to 24/96 for DVD compatibility. SACDs couldn't be output digitally so DSD wasn't a popular medium then either (although Denon had a Denon link that got round it somehow, I wonder if it was PCM resampling rather than true DSD format).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'm not sure 20 year old DAC chips went up to 24/192 I think most went up to 24/96 for DVD compatibility. SACDs couldn't be output digitally so DSD wasn't a popular medium then either (although Denon had a Denon link that got round it somehow, I wonder if it was PCM resampling rather than true DSD format).
    DVD-A would do 24/192 in stereo that's 22 years ago now. I still have a couple of them.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

Yeah but I thought initially they didn't output digital the same as SACD due to copyright?

We're probably arguing over detail here but it would be useful to see a list of consumer DACs with years and specs if such a thing exists. I wasn't aware of 24/192 DACs until closer to 2010 but then I wasn't a hifi geek until about then. Think I got my first DAC then, an arcam delta 250/500 combo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast