+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fooked speakers

I'm Mike.

Default Fooked speakers

Just about to put back the Anjs into my system, I had trouble rewiring the stupid fucking wiring posts that 90s speakers always had, the biwiring kind, and had great trouble. Anyway, turns out the drivers foam surround was very fragile, and now they are fooked, who can I get to refoam these, I take it that's what's needed, or do they need new drivers?

[/url]

[/url]
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Lawrence.

Yeah just new surrounds don't pull the cones again. You can try yourself if you're careful.

I'm Mike.

What do people think is a fair price for these now they are fooked?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Lawrence.

Not sure what they're worth when not fooked but if you knock £150 odd off it should be ok, thing is there's a bit of a risk the voice coils will scrape if you DIY but it costs quite a bit to get them done professionally.

I'm Mike.

Dead easy to fix if you can get the right size foam surrounds, honestly if I can do it with a fooked arm anyone can, I bought a kit that came with shims, glue, new surrounds and a full set of instructions from eBay for a pair of 8 or 10” JBL drivers can’t remember the size exactly, anyway dead easy so give it a go

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Dead easy to fix if you can get the right size foam surrounds, honestly if I can do it with a fooked arm anyone can, I bought a kit that came with shims, glue, new surrounds and a full set of instructions from eBay for a pair of 8 or 10” JBL drivers can’t remember the size exactly, anyway dead easy so give it a go
    How do you get the old foams off?

I'm Geoff.

There are tutorials on Google and YouTube that walk you through the process. It's not too daunting if you have a practical frame of mind, I've done many (and never used shims). Just make sure you use a water based adhesive and not contact adhesive.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    How do you get the old foams off?
    It really depends what the cone material is, pulp cones need to be treated with care, gently pull the majority of the foam off it should come off quite easy and only leave a strip around the cone where it was glued on, to remove this I found putting a thin piece of ply behind and gently scrub the old glue off with dry wire wool seems to work well. You won’t get everything off so don’t try, what you’re looking for is a clean surface as smooth as possible with no loose debris.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

Think I'll just flog 'em.

I'm Mike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast