+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a little pair of monoblocks [emoji1787]

I'm Andrew.

Default Just a little pair of monoblocks

Just collected these , the guy said they’re a bit heavy ! HEAVY!! I reckon 60kg’s each

1000w each too , I think I need to let the National grid know before I plug them in ( not sure I want to )

Built by a medical doctor who’s passion was electronics and especially hifi .( now deceased)

The son explained that they’re 1000w each and drove a set of 4 speakers, the 2 front speakers were around 6” tall and he used some ATc’s as the rears , apparently each one has triple outlets, treble, mid and bass , the builder had altered them at some point ( whilst Alzheimer’s kicked in ) to be bass and mid/treble , might explain the brown wire that’s lose .
    I’m a little nervous about powering them up , what do reckon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by andyrlb; 28-10-2022 at 17:10.

I'm Geoff.

They look vaguely familiar somehow. I wonder if they're anything to do with Colin Wonfor?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They look vaguely familiar somehow. I wonder if they're anything to do with Colin Wonfor?
    The son thinks they’re a Lindsley hood design.

I'm Andrew.

Got this one too while I was there …

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    the 2 front speakers were around 6” tall
    So much power for speakers so small.

Do you have a friendly electrical engineer that can have a look at them for you?
    If not, then be very careful. Being modified by someone with Alzheimer’s would concern me. They may be perfectly ok, or they may not.
    Did you ask his son when they were last used?
    Do you have a copy of the circuit design?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    So much power for speakers so small.

Do you have a friendly electrical engineer that can have a look at them for you?
    If not, then be very careful. Being modified by someone with Alzheimer’s would concern me. They may be perfectly ok, or they may not.
    Did you ask his son when they were last used?
    Do you have a copy of the circuit design?
    Fear not I’m not going to power them up at all .
    Last used around 10 years ago and built around 20 years ago ( transformer dates to 08/99 )
    To be honest I didn’t realise just how big and heavy they were until I arrived to collect them.
    No circuit design or schematic available.
    The son thought they were a lindsley hood design but I think he meant the other little amp that came with them ( pictured)
    I think my best option is to strip them for the transformers and sell them which seems a shame .

I'm Grant.

a bit of a frankenstein's monster that... would be good to get them looked at by a pro.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a bit of a frankenstein's monster that... would be good to get them looked at by a pro.
    Totally agree Grant , my initial thoughts were to simply transfer them into more modern cases but clearly not an option for one as simple as me but for a pro they may potentially be desirable.
    The son said the sound was incredible and his dad would have fellow hifi nuts coming to hear them.

I'm Dennis.

I would find that a daunting project. The construction is rather messy, and th condition speaks for itself - a hell of a lot of work to do there to fell comfortable using them.

I'm Greg.

I see the parts are for grabs at diyaudio. So you haven't powered up?
    I would be scared too tbh.
    Also these heatsinks would be wasted on a 1000W amp. Better to to convert to some toasty low wattage inefficient class A amp. Well, maybe not that low wattage after all...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast