+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Liv Zen (early Innuos) ripper/streamer 2Tb

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Liv Zen (early Innuos) ripper/streamer 2Tb

Nice device this, it was released before the company changed their name to Innuos. I've actually got 3 of them so don't really need this one! It does Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, internet radio and loads of other apps which are maintained by an active LMS user group that recently made sure BBC Sounds worked when the BBC took radio off iplayer for example. It won't do Roon or Amazon AFAIK though.

Output is done via USB into a DAC. It needs ethernet (best quality anyway) but I use it remotely from the router with a powerline adaptor.

There's a web page you can use to play it but I use good free app to control it on Android called Squeezer. I don't know much about Apple but I think iPeng is popular. Set up can be fiddly if you've not used Vortexbox/LMS/ Squeezebox etc before but I will provide support via what's app or phone to get you up and running if you're not sure. I should be able to set up and test any logins if you want before I send it too.

The early Innuos Zens were basically Vortexboxes, so its not compatible with the current Innuos software so I've rebuilt it with the latest Vortexbox software so it's up to date. The only thing that they don't seem to do anymore is album art but I'm using an app on my laptop which scans the Zen and can add album art to the folders for you once they're ripped.

I replaced the Teac drive with a NOS one a couple of years ago when it had issues and have ripped c.1000 CDs since so it will have plenty of life left.

It has loads of music on it which I'm happy to leave on so that the buyer can test it before deleting and ripping their own collection.

I think £250 is a good price for what's still a versatile streamer and ripper. Collection from N London welcome. If you're local or can give me a lift I'm happy to set it up for you myself.

I'm Lawrence.

Bump. Forgot to say the name of this was changed to Zen Mini Mk1 when they rebranded.

I'm James.

Nice little device the Zen mini. I will be having a listen to the Innuous Statement with next generation power supply tonight so not sure what to expect?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Lawrence.

I'd hope it sounds a bit better than this at that price! But this sounds good enough for me with a nice dac I have to say.

I'm James.

Yes crazy price for the Statement and much of it because of the power supply. Think you can get them with an 8TB SSD now? I must say it was hard to
    really hear what it was doing in the system as it was hooked up to a Chord DAVE with Blu 2 m-scaler which is pretty great in its own right.

However the overall combination was super transparent, you were just not aware of any electronics in the system. Vocals were very real in the room and holographic. Huge soundstage with great depth and width. DAVE has stunning imaging and control over the bass but I expect it helps a lot being fed with a Innuous Statement. I have found as the whole digital chain improves the sound becomes more analogue and smoother. The pin point sharp etched nature of digital some how becomes more rounded and natural.

BUT..... £16000 for DAVE + M-scaler + £14000 for Innuous Statement
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Lawrence.

Interesting about the PSU, I actually run mine with a big 12V 5A LPSU I bought from a caravan supply shop for about £40

I'm James.

That LPSU should make a difference as I have found with anything digital. I run a DAC and a clocker with a LPSU and that definitely helps. I think a lot of the development around the Innuos products have been around the PSU.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 29-10-2022 at 19:50.

I'm Lawrence.

I've spent a few years experimenting with budget upgrades to the Zen. Here's the £40 power supply I use to get an uplift in performance.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk...er-supply.html

Also, I've done some experimenting with USB convertors and found the Schiit Eitr is a great little box that takes away any trace left of digital glare, I highly recommend using it with this and they can be picked up occasionally for not much over £100. The Audiophileo is also very good but they go for a multiple of the price.

IMHO these cheap upgrades take the Zen's performance to a level you'd expect with some expensive all in one streamers. I can demo with both in use obviously but I can't sell them as I use them with my other Zen.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've spent a few years experimenting with budget upgrades to the Zen. Here's the £40 power supply I use to get an uplift in performance.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk...er-supply.html

Also, I've done some experimenting with USB convertors and found the Schiit Eitr is a great little box that takes away any trace left of digital glare, I highly recommend using it with this and they can be picked up occasionally for not much over £100. The Audiophileo is also very good but they go for a multiple of the price.

IMHO these cheap upgrades take the Zen's performance to a level you'd expect with some expensive all in one streamers. I can demo with both in use obviously but I can't sell them as I use them with my other Zen.

That is certainly a budget upgrade.

I'm Lawrence.

Yeah certainly don't look as smart as the Statement but if you don't mind separate boxes and you're on a tight budget you can get 80/90% (guess) of the performance for a fraction of the price.

I've taken maxing out performance at a low price to a bit of an extreme but it saves me money, I've had a lot of fun on the way, and it's rather satisfying as well.

Forget to mention the carpet underlay under the Zen, I had to buy about a 2x3m roll minimum for £30 odd but it's saved me a lifetime of messing with feet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast