+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juggling LP12/SL150 and SME3009/SyrinxPU3

I'm Sandy.

Default Juggling LP12/SL150 and SME3009/SyrinxPU3

I have spent the past year juggling my marital and hifi status...

But in between i have been listening to the combinations of above with a decent MM Goldring cartridge.

Going between the four I can't tell which I prefer, which just goes to prove that money doesn't predict...

Techie is faster and more exciting, LP12 is much more seductive.

The SME is elegant/flawed but the PU3 is, err, cooler, more accurate.

Both suit the LP12. PU3 and Techie?

I have to sacrifice something as needs must. What would you partner and why?

I'm Barrington.

For me everything starts and finishes with musicality. IMHO accuracy usually becomes monotonous and boring.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mayebaza View Post
    For me everything starts and finishes with musicality. IMHO accuracy usually becomes monotonous and boring.
    I’d agree with Baza, pin point accuracy and clinical presentation a lot of times remove the bounce and emotion as well, give me flawed musicality every day

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Adam.

Default Juggling LP12/SL150 and SME3009/SyrinxPU3

Easy - SL150 and PU3 every time.

To me, calling something “musical” is just a shorter way of saying “it’s not very good but I still like it”. In my experience, the ‘not very good’ bit soon becomes more and more dominant and distracting.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    That would also be my choice.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post

To me, calling something “musical” is just a shorter way of saying “it’s not very good but I still like it”. In my experience, the ‘not very good’ bit soon becomes more and more dominant and distracting.

i'd disagree, all equipment has an effect on the music to a greater or lesser extent, musicality is a term that in my opinion can't easily be defined, but certainly isn't a shorthand way of saying something isn't very good. In my opinion once you reach a base level better sound quality becomes harder and more expensive to attain, to a point where it's much more subjective and you like the way a piece of equipment presents the sound to you, it's no better or worse but you personally prefer it. if we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I think the ill-defined term 'musicality' is another way of suggesting a sense of engagement with what you are listening to. One several occasions I have auditioned two cartridges, each equally well regarded - but with one, I found myself not really listening to the music as much as I should: it just didn't engage me.

I don't really believe in absolutes, but if asked to offer an opinion based on experience, I would not go for a Linn LP12.
    Barry

I'm Keith.

Sandy - that's my ex back-up SL150/SME 3009 you're not sure about. For your information my current TT is SL150 / Jelco SA750D / Goldring 1042 into a Graham Slee GramAmp 2SE. Sometimes I change over to AT33PTG/11 into the MC stage of my Luxman. Underpinning everything is my SL150. I have a more modern SL1500C which I find no more stable than my 50 year old SL150. I wouldn't change my SL150 for anything less than a SP10.

I'm Sandy.

I am tending towards the PU3/SL150 except my homemade acrylic arm board might be a limiting factor. I suspect my measurements are incorrect.

Can anyone provide me with a template as I fear my measurements are bollox!

That said, the SME/LP12 is a classic and sound lovely even with a DIY acrylic board it takes me back to 1983...

I am using a cheapy Goldring E3 that has, TBH, exceeded my expectation...

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    I am tending towards the PU3/SL150 except my homemade acrylic arm board might be a limiting factor. I suspect my measurements are incorrect.

Can anyone provide me with a template as I fear my measurements are bollox!

That said, the SME/LP12 is a classic and sound lovely even with a DIY acrylic board it takes me back to 1983...

I am using a cheapy Goldring E3 that has, TBH, exceeded my expectation...
    Sandy, I would completely ignore any comments regarding your setup. At the end of the day, it's what makes you happy and if having 2 setups works for you, then so be it! It dosen't matter how you reach sonic nirvana so long as you enjoy yourself getting there.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast