+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luxman PD 151 turntable

I'm Ales.

Default Luxman PD 151 turntable

Hello music friends,
    I'm looking for a good turntable for my vinyl collection. I've seen Luxman PD 151 turntable which came also as upgrade version Mk2 with new SAEC tonearm. Before they have used Jelco tonearm. Which tonearm is better? I want to hear your valuable opinions about it, if anybody is enjoying such turntable?
    Also for similar money I can buy Technics 1200G? Comparison?
    I'm listening to blues and jazz, and prefere more warm reproduction of music, winter is comming!
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well it certainly is a handsome-looking record deck (as are all Luxman products)

and it doesn't come cheap, so I would say if you can afford to buy it, go ahead.

Regarding the tonearm, Jelco arms are competent designs, but I suspect a SAEC arm would be better. Which SAEC model is it?
    Barry

I'm Adam.

The new tonearm worries me - it does look suspiciously like that used on basic Chi-Fi belt drives such as the TEAC TN-3B. The Jelco used on the older model was a variant of the SA-250 and it's a competent enough model but the PD-171 that I heard it on definitely deserved better.

The arm on the new PD-191 looks very interesting, however!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Ales.

Any first hand experience with Luxman PD 151 turntable? Which cartridge is recommended?
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Mike.

Badger748 over on Pink Fish Media forum has just sold his one, might be worth asking him.

He bought it from Elite Audio a few months ago, but has since sold it on

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...995-00.270766/

I'm Ales.

Thanks for good information. I'll contact him to get some tips on this turntable.

I'm Steve.

It looks very similar in architecture (relationship of motor position to platter) to the higher end Teac TT's (I have a TN570) and Fluance rim drive TT's. The SAEC tonearm's are used by Teac and they have slightly different builds. Look at the TN550/570 arms and the TN 55BB that have very similar arm pillars.

So you might be paying quite a premium for the Luxman name and hefty platter. That said, I do like the sound of my Teac TT and the SAEC arm fitted to mine is very happy running a 2M Black.

Does that mean SEAC make/made tonearms for JELCO on an OEM basis, or visa versa?

(Apologies for thread drift.)
    Barry

I'm Ales.

It seams that SAEC is producint tonearms for Luxman PD 151 and 191 and also for TEAC, turntable model TN 55BB?

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    It seems that SAEC is producing tonearms for Luxman PD 151 and 191 and also for TEAC, turntable model TN 55BB?
    Thanks
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast