+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Years of the CD

I'm James.

Default 40 Years of the CD

Can you believe it has been 40 years since the CD was unleashed on the public? I distinctly remember working in a HIFI business at the time selling Panasonic, Sony, Bang and Olufson and Quad gear when the CD came out and we sold some of the very first CD players including the first Philips CD players one of which I purchased myself along with my first CD - Brothers in Arms.

Those last 40 years were a rollercoaster of digital audio and like many of us on this forum i bought so many CD players over that period I have actually lost both count and memory of all of them. As the technology "improved"?? I moved on believing things were getting better and in many cases the sound did improve as some of the earlier errors were corrected! CD became the main source for me from about 1983 to 2015 and I bought boxes and boxes of those nasty plastic things. I recon 50% of my CD cases broke!

Over those years I felt CD was the tail that wagged the dog as my other HIFI gear was usually considered with the main source being CD and to be honest I tried to ameliorate the sound of CD to make it more pleasant to listen too. This cost me a fortune of those 40 years but in the end I gave up and just accepted CD sounded well like CD. In 2015 I took a 180 degree turn and ended back to where I started with vinyl but that is another story.

I remember standing as I did all day in the Hifi shop listening to all the CD players as they came in and back in 1983 they all had one thing in common, they sounded very clear and very bright. I remember someone telling me that because digital was so perfect I would not be used to the sound and my hearing had to adjust. I believed the bullshit and carried on believing I was listening to a perfect sound no matter how hard it was to actually listen too or enjoy.

As you can imagine selling those early machines back then was one of the biggest jolts of interest the hifi world had ever really known. The technology was amazing and sexy, like something from another universe compared with vinyl! There was almost no comparison apart from both were round discs. CD was shiny and silver, Vinyl was black and boring. CDs could be popped in your pocket and took up way less storage space and they could be spread with marmalade and they still worked. You could open a new vinyl record and cough on it and its quiet days of operation were over!

CD players were electronic marvels, You would go to a shop and just press the drawer opening button for hours and have to eventually be dragged away by the staff. The precision and simplicity of a CD player with remote control was just so nice back then. In your mind you thought of vinyl and that process and equipment and it made you shudder thinking about the effort. So slam dunk, CD was not only the most amazing technology in town it was the future for audio for many years to come and vinyl was going in the skip!

I bought into this big time and remember buying even more copies of hifi mags which covered every twist and turn of the technology. I got my head around lazers and bits ,101010 and brick wall filters and oversampling and error correction and DA convertors and then jitter. Ah this little nugget was to eventually become the achilles heal for CD in my world back in 2014 when I started to understand and put together File Based digital audio - yet another story.

I think ultimately when I look back on my 40 years of CD I came to accept it as a medium for music playback and embraced it fully even though for me there was always a nagging doubt which resulted in lots of alternative systems in my household. The perfect sound of CD was always perfect until the next perfect sound for ever CD player arrived!

Alas this technology for me came to and end in 2015 so 7 years short of its 40th birthday and now it resides collecting dust in the HIFI graveyard in the loft. One day I might get it back down and give it a spin for memories sake and tell my grandchildren this is what we used to play music back in my day. By then they will have some new alien technology that beams perfect sound for ever straight into their brain without any need to buy discs or equipment. Oh yes wake up grandad they already have that, its called streaming!

What were you memories of CD?
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-10-2022 at 15:42.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

great read jim...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

My first CD player was a Yamaha CDX1. I mean, how could they fail ? Silver discs that shone a rainbow of colour. Perfect sound forever. A direct digital copy of the master tape.

My first ever purchase was Lionel Richie 'Can't slow down' bought because I had to have something to play and there was bugger all to choose from.
    Three years later the Yamaha was gone to be replaced with a Cambridge CD2 and all of it failings.
    Anyhow, without them I wouldn't be here now with the memories.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    great read jim...
    Cheers Grant.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Enossification View Post
    My first CD player was a Yamaha CDX1. I mean, how could they fail ? Silver discs that shone a rainbow of colour. Perfect sound forever. A direct digital copy of the master tape.

My first ever purchase was Lionel Richie 'Can't slow down' bought because I had to have something to play and there was bugger all to choose from.
    Three years later the Yamaha was gone to be replaced with a Cambridge CD2 and all of it failings.
    Anyhow, without them I wouldn't be here now with the memories.
    Yeah lots of memories. Just looking at your music choice on your forum page Shaun and I like most of the stuff you have listed there so maybe we are from the same era?

I'm Alan.

As far as CD is concerned I still think it was a brilliant co-invention by Philips and Sony.

If you go into the technicalities of exactly how it is recorded on the disk there is some very clever thinking, not just to provide error correction.
    Most people probably think the bits are just read off in sequence to reconstruct the music, but as an example the laser cannot read a continuous string of zeros so data manipulation is required.

The bits on the disc may be 'perfect forever' but unfortunately the digital manipulation required in D to A conversion using Delta Sigma is flawed.

Some of the alternative techniques brought out for conversion, such as R2R (resistor ladder) were limited in bit depth because getting the required precision at low levels was expensive to achieve on silicon chips. That said some of the earlier chips could provide excellent sound.

I think Delta Sigma became the almost de-facto approach due to the plethora of chip manufacturers and the economies of scale, so we were nearly all stuck with the 'digital artefacts' sound.

Given recent developments in R2R with very accurate discrete resistor ladders from a few manufacturers has I think transformed the sound now possible from CD.
    I am gobsmacked now at how phenominal most of my CD collection now sounds, given the proviso of being recorded well.

No problem if you want to have a listen James.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

CD has been my main source since the mid eighties. I still kept a record deck though.

After many CD players I bought a new Meridian 507 back in 2003 and still have it and I also use a Trichord Research 'Digital Turntable' transport, plus two Pioneer PD-S505 Precision players. Many DACs have been used, but I settled on my Monarchy Audio M22B and Musical Fidelity V-DAC, I'm happy with the results and don't feel the need to change anything.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

I was fairly late to cd i guess. maybe about 88//89. had a denon and my brother had a jvc. It was great that you didnt get the noises ascosiated with vinyl and you could program tracks to play etc, but it used to be slightly 'just not right' in those days. But it improved and its pretty decent now and without the 'palaver' of vinyl.
    Nowadays i rip them to pc and play via Roon which i find just fine.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    CD has been my main source since the mid eighties. I still kept a record deck though.

After many CD players I bought a new Meridian 507 back in 2003 and still have it and I also use a Trichord Research 'Digital Turntable' transport, plus two Pioneer PD-S505 Precision players. Many DACs have been used, but I settled on my Monarchy Audio M22B and Musical Fidelity V-DAC, I'm happy with the results and don't feel the need to change anything.
    Do you use a DAC with the Meridian 507 or just on its own?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I was fairly late to cd i guess. maybe about 88//89. had a denon and my brother had a jvc. It was great that you didnt get the noises ascosiated with vinyl and you could program tracks to play etc, but it used to be slightly 'just not right' in those days. But it improved and its pretty decent now and without the 'palaver' of vinyl.
    Nowadays i rip them to pc and play via Roon which i find just fine.
    I think thats a good way to go FBA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast