+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fyne Audio Vintage

I'm Heinz.

Default Fyne Audio Vintage

I am very pleasantly surprised that Fyne Audio positions and designs its products in the way I have always wanted. The first products showed what Fyne Audio is technically capable of but I found the design quite boring and unexciting. Now the vintage line is coming, like the Tannoy Prestige series, and the vintage classic series is coming, like the 70s Tannoy monitors, I personally think it's a cool design and a confident step. Mind you, it's not a Chinese replica. It is the work of the management and innovative engineers of the former Tannoy, Tannoy that was sold to Behringer. I don't trust Behringer as a company that can't manage Tannoy and is only looking for a quick buck.

What is your opinion? Is Fyne Audio a responsible continuation of the Tannoy legacy or is Fyne Audio an epigone?

I'm Lawrence.

What's an epigone?

I'm Heinz.

Oh sorry, it's a Germanised word from the Greek for an imitator.

I'm Adam.

It’s difficult to accuse Fyne of being an imitator when the majority of their designers, acoustic engineers, buyers, sales people, assemblers and even their PR man are all ex-Tannoy.

I’d say they are far more Tannoy than Tannoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz R View Post
    Oh sorry, it's a Germanised word from the Greek for an imitator.
    Ah right, looked it up and it did become used in English, just not very common.

I've not heard any of their speakers but when I saw their vintage range I was pleased to see that a British company was taking over the legacy of the former company that had been bought out. I know Tannoy are still making their legacy range but moving production out of Scotland is the end of that as far as I'm concerned.

I actually thought they had gone Chinese, I didn't realise they were bought out by Behringer.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    It’s difficult to accuse Fyne of being an imitator when the majority of their designers, acoustic engineers, buyers, sales people, assemblers and even their PR man are all ex-Tannoy.

I’d say they are far more Tannoy than Tannoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    100% Adam, i was sat next to the MD on the train down to London a few years ago, i was going to an AV conference and he was off to an Audio award show, it was a very interesting few hours i must say, and you are quite correct that the vast majority of Fyne staff are ex Tannoy Scotland, including their chief designer who was also on the train.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Ah right, looked it up and it did become used in English, just not very common.
    Many English words are Germanic. English is I suppose an assemblage of many other languages.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

As an aside, I heard the first new Vintage range models at Munich and really liked them. They also have grille magnets on the back of the speaker so that, if you don't use the grilles, you just attach them to the back of the cabinet instead, which I thought was an absolutely genius idea!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Heinz.

This is such a brilliant idea that it deserves a Kings Award. These grills are always gathering dust somewhere, sometimes for more than 15 years...

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Martin's in Norwich are a Fyne Audio dealer. The F704s are unbelievably good, as are the F703s and the F1-8s.

They need a walnut finish to look the part however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast