+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy usage- valve amp!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    my standing daily charge(which is a bloody disgrace by way) is about 50p and 30p or thereabouts. so thats 300 notes a year without having anything on. a total con... about £10 billion from across country every year just to be connected to grids..
    So true and such a bloody disgrace. I guess it keeps the shareholders happy though.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    So, back to my question...is a valve amp using more energy than a general SS amp?
    I would say yes if it is a Class A amp but what do I know ? My knowledge of electronics is naff.

I'm Grant.

So, back to my question...is a valve amp using more energy than a general SS amp?
    i dont think your usage at 10hrs a week at just over an amp is going to break the bank, and some ss amps may be same or higher.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Sugden a21a draws 70w idle or at full output apparently

https://www.hifinews.com/content/sug...ier-lab-report

Primaluna is 300w

Elicit r is 37w idle, 270w at max output

I'm Alan.

Yes unless the SS amp is Class A.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Dave.

You need to calculate what your energy usage will actually be. The energy companies are trying to rip us all off by inflating the estimated cost of usage in order for them to make a stash to help them through any bad times.

We had a similar crazy price but fortunately my Wife, who pays the bills, is on the ball and worked out a more accurate estimate based on actual energy used over the past two years and the figure was less than half the energy companies were asking for. When challenged on this, they just caved in.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Agreed - Class A amplifiers draw a constant current, and hence power. Furthermore they have a maximumum theoretical efficiency of 50%; and what isn't used to drive the speaker is wasted as heat. (So turn off the radiators in your listening room. )

I used to use Mark Levinson ML-2 monoblock amplifiers. 25W into 8 Ohm, doubling in power for every halving of load impedance. They have an efficiency of 25%, hence when idling the pair of them pour out 200W as heat.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

my listening room is always nice and toasty 15 minutes after turning the Primaluna on

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Alex.

If anyone is interested, I measured a Quad 303 power amplifier and it took around 10 Watts at zero output.
    Spendorman

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You have a separate fridge for your beer?
    No, he has a separate fridge for food. not quite the same thing
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast