+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eclipse TD510s - any possibility of 3rd party repair?

I'm Dawson.

Default Eclipse TD510s - any possibility of 3rd party repair?

Morning all

I've just acquired some Eclipse TD510s in good cosmetic condition but non-working. No sound whatsoever (tried 2 amps) and no ohm reading on the terminals. Seems like the voice coils have burnt out which isn't difficult to do considering the low power handling (20 watts).

The drivers are bespoke 120mm full range, and due to the unusual enclosure design / suspension they need to be a perfect fit. I doubt a drop in replacement would work.

Eclipse don't offer any support at all with regards to spares / repair so my only potential avenue is 3rd party. Can anyone recommend a repairer?

Cheers

Dawson

I'm David.

Best to contact the distributor at info@decentaudio.co.uk
    avid hifi | audiomica | amphion | anthem | audioquest | ascendo | bel canto | bluesound | caas audio | eggleston works | exposure | hegel | isoacoustics | innuos | kef audio | larsen | lumin | merason | moonriver | nagaoka | ophidian | primare | perlisten | paradigm | svs | spectral furniture | silent angel

www.thelittleaudio.company 0753 888 1969 / 0121 638 0721

I'm Geoff.

If original drivers are unavailable, you have nothing to lose by trying alternative five inch full range drivers suited to reflex loading. There will be many around that have the round frame needed.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

The drivers aren’t secured to the cabinet itself. The only connection is a bit of rubber to create a seal between it and the cabinet, so it’s not just an easy case of unscrewing a driver and replacing it, it’s a complex overall design, designed the way it is to produce the desired result. I don’t believe they’re off the shelf drivers either, designed specifically for the Eclipse models.
    avid hifi | audiomica | amphion | anthem | audioquest | ascendo | bel canto | bluesound | caas audio | eggleston works | exposure | hegel | isoacoustics | innuos | kef audio | larsen | lumin | merason | moonriver | nagaoka | ophidian | primare | perlisten | paradigm | svs | spectral furniture | silent angel

www.thelittleaudio.company 0753 888 1969 / 0121 638 0721

I'm Lawrence.

If it's a current model distributed in the UK, I can't believe they don't offer a repair service. They might not want to give spares as part of the benefit of being a distributor/dealer is making a profit on repairs. That's normal business practice.

I'm Dawson.

Yes that's my thought too David, it's a bespoke design and a one-off custom driver from what I've read.

They discontinued this model a few years ago Lawrence, the TD510 MK2s are expensive at 2k+ per pair...

Providing they're easy to crack open I've nothing to lose by trying different drivers providing they fit OK. I don't want to give up on them just yet, even it it means handing them down to a DIY boffin.... I'd rather that, than landfill!

Would be a real shame to scrap such fine speakers.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by daws0n View Post
    Providing they're easy to crack open I've nothing to lose by trying different drivers providing they fit OK. I don't want to give up on them just yet, even it it means handing them down to a DIY boffin.... I'd rather that, than landfill!

Would be a real shame to scrap such fine speakers.
    Yes, if originality is not achievable, then alternative drivers are the only option.

I'd certainly try and get them apart and continuity test the wiring and driver voice-coils first though.

I'm Dawson.

I've split the cabs on one of them today, quite easy to do and not a million miles away internally from the MK3 diagram above.

All wiring looks fine and no impedance reading on the basket terminals eithers, so not an easy job to repair.

I can't quite figure out how the driver itself is bonded to the mass anchor... No amount pulling or twisting is releasing it!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by daws0n View Post
    Eclipse don't offer any support at all with regards to spares / repair...
    That's me never, ever considering Eclipse speakers in any shape or form then. Who do they think they are; Sonos?

What crummy, pathetic behaviour from a 'well regarded' manufacturer. Imagine if B&W did that.

I'm Dawson.

It's disappointing considering the RRP, at £1,000+ per speaker I expected some kind of support long term. Still doesn't detract from an otherwise clever and unique design, but goes to show you need to be careful regarding amplifier power.

I think they're pretty hardy speakers when driven with their limits. The previous owner hadn't used them for several years since moving properties, they were previously hooked up a an AV receiver capable for 100+ wpc. All it would take is a careless twist of volume pot or someone wondering "how loud can this go?".

My amp has a programmable volume limiter which it always set <85dB to avoid such accidents! That, and replaygain tags across the music library are a must IMHO. That way "loud" never raises to "too loud" because the volume stays consistent regardless of recording age/mastering, it's great for playlists and parties.

+ Reply to Thread