+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy usage- valve amp!

I'm Alan.

[QUOTE=MartinS;1329381]Slightly bizarrely my SS power amp, a Quad Artera consumes 750w max /QUOTE]

Are you reading that rating off the back or the user guide? If so that is the rating for MAXIMUM output which in a domestic setting at least will never be used.
    Actual consumption will depend on volume level but will definitely be a lot lower in normal use.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I predict there will be an increase in the amount of meter-tampering this winter, with some dire consequences.
    I think you're probably right. Plenty of Idiots around.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

[QUOTE=Firebottle;1329386]
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Slightly bizarrely my SS power amp, a Quad Artera consumes 750w max /QUOTE]

Are you reading that rating off the back or the user guide? If so that is the rating for MAXIMUM output which in a domestic setting at least will never be used.
    Actual consumption will depend on volume level but will definitely be a lot lower in normal use.
    My Krell runs on Solar power or battery, it’s draws 400-500Wh, when I run out of power I’ll dig out the exercise bike and pedal fast to drive a generator to run it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

[QUOTE=AJSki2fly;1329393]
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

My Krell runs on Solar power or battery, it’s draws 400-500Wh, when I run out of power I’ll dig out the exercise bike and pedal fast to drive a generator to run it.
    I bet all those hapless souls who pay 30 quid a month gym membership don't realise that their frantic cycling and treadmilling is keeping the gym's sunbeds and saunas going
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

I used to have a hamster when I was a youth and it would run in its wheel all night. Couldn't that be harnessed somehow? Like a couple of million of them doing shifts?

Use an old warehouse or factory. I know they would need to be fed but you could feed them on the stuff that supermarkets chuck out. Just mash it into a paste.

Wouldn't cost much since you start with two and breed them. And you could take in lost and abandoned ones as well, remove some weight off the RSPCA at this critical time of year.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I used to have a hamster when I was a youth and it would run in its wheel all night. Couldn't that be harnessed somehow? Like a couple of million of them doing shifts?

Use an old warehouse or factory. I know they would need to be fed but you could feed them on the stuff that supermarkets chuck out. Just mash it into a paste.

Wouldn't cost much since you start with two and breed them. And you could take in lost and abandoned ones as well, remove some weight off the RSPCA at this critical time of year.
    Could be onto something there. Staff turnover will be a bit hectic though, hamsters only last about a year. But I suppose they could be 'repurposed' - it would only take a few hundred hamster pelts to make a winter warming gilet, or even an eiderdown for the less fashion conscious.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

Make them into cat food when they peg it.

Mine lived for three years but I used to let him out to run around the living room for a few hours every night. He did chew the carpet up a bit in the corner behind the telly though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Make them into cat food when they peg it.

Mine lived for three years but I used to let him out to run around the living room for a few hours every night. He did chew the carpet up a bit in the corner behind the telly though.
    He stuck around for three years? That's some going. I got one for my daughter and it only lasted six months. Waste of bloody money, I should have gone for the extended warranty. I was glad to see the back of it tbh, made a right racket all night, slept all day. I bought him this huge cage with all the toys, and what thanks did I get? He bit me, the ungrateful little brat.

In hindsight I don't think he enjoyed me doing keepie ups with his hamster ball with him in it.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

So according to my now set up smart meter, the sugden uses 3-4p an hour, the orimaluna more like 9-10p an hour.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    So according to my now set up smart meter, the sugden uses 3-4p an hour, the orimaluna more like 9-10p an hour.
    still not that much in the scheme of things unless it's on 12 hours a day every day.

I think I do on average about 6 hours listening a week so I'll be keeping my old Krell.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast