+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy usage- valve amp!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well, it was Thatcher who sold off the "family silver" for a quick fix. That was bad enough, but later legislation was introduced whereby foreign states and companies could buy into them. So that is why one of our water and one of the electricity companies are French owned. Our EDF bills are no doubt subsidising French consumers.
    for the few things she did well, there are hundreds she did wrong. unless your a right wing capatalist of course.. ms truss wants to copy her
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I believe the electricity increase in France has been capped at 4%. That is the advantage of having essential utilities still under state control - unlike here in the UK.
    The UK government still have the ability to regulate fuel prices.

The reason that the French government capped the rise at 4% is because otherwise the French would have been out on the street ripping up the cobbles and chucking them at the cops. That's the real difference.

Nothing to do with the nationality of the people who own the energy companies. Which are publicly listed anyway so probably mostly owned by pension funds.

Buying shares in a power company might be a good way of recouping some of the losses from the bills going up, thinking about it. I wonder how their share prices have been doing recently?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I think that the railways, buses, water and drainage should all be government owned as with energy supply, an also the country should be self sufficient in food.

Truss may see herself as a new Thatcher, but she lacks the gravitas and depth she had, although much of what she did was damaging to people and to our cultural values.

I'm David.

[QUOTE=Enossification;1329293]OK so my observation of our smart meter display

To clarify, do NOT do the test I suggested using readings from the in room wireless display (In Home Display Device) that comes with the meter itself. That works on an algorithm based on average usage. They're a useful bit of kit generally but this is why they always go bonkers when you switch the kettle on in the first few weeks. For my test, take reads from the actual electric meter (the box that has the electric cable from the street wired into it).
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    As I said previously, the energy companies are grossly inflating their estimated bills i
    To be fair to the bastids, if you give regular meter reads to them any estimated usage should be fairly spot on. They will always argue that it's better to (reasonably) over estimate than under, to avoid large catch up bills for the customer. The regulator would agree with this.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The UK government still have the ability to regulate fuel prices.

The reason that the French government capped the rise at 4% is because otherwise the French would have been out on the street ripping up the cobbles and chucking them at the cops. That's the real difference.
    That's the way to do it - though it's not the way we do things: here we just whinge and whine. Actually, the French government is the major shareholder (51%) in EDF, so their word goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca
    Nothing to do with the nationality of the people who own the energy companies. Which are publicly listed anyway so probably mostly owned by pension funds.

Buying shares in a power company might be a good way of recouping some of the losses from the bills going up, thinking about it. I wonder how their share prices have been doing recently?
    I'll have a word with my financial advisor who knows about these things. I wouldn't be surprised if my portfolio didn't already have shares in some utilities.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    To be fair to the bastids, if you give regular meter reads to them any estimated usage should be fairly spot on. They will always argue that it's better to (reasonably) over estimate than under, to avoid large catch up bills for the customer. The regulator would agree with this.
    Agreed - but how frequent is "regular": quarterly; monthly, weekly?
    Barry

I'm David.

Agreed - but how frequent is "regular": quarterly; monthly, weekly?
    If you've not submitted them often in the past I'd do it monthly for a year to show seasonal peaks n troughs.
    Quarterly after that. Historic reads are passed from one supplier to another following the customer's switch of provider, so it's always worth doing to avoid unrealistic estimates.

I'm Martin.

Slightly bizarrely my SS power amp, a Quad Artera consumes 750w max whilst my valve monoblocks, Icon MB90 consume 200w max each. I think the extra heat might be worth having this winter. The news today was reporting the possibility of power cuts this winter. If that does happen then I think there well may be a rather pointed response from the public towards the government. It is after all entirely down to politicians short term thinking, if that's not being too charitable to describe it thus.
    Martin

I'm Steve.

Many years ago (late 70s) a friend rented a flat in an ancient building shared by other tenants, a judo club and a couple of small businesses. The wiring was ancient. Somehow he discovered that one of the wall sockets did not affect his meter. He used that socket for EVERYTHING. How he did not cause a fire I've no idea.

I predict there will be an increase in the amount of meter-tampering this winter, with some dire consequences.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast